Interview with Computer Engineer Sadhana S. | Teen Ink

Interview with Computer Engineer Sadhana S.

Mrs. Sadhana has been in the quality analysis sector of the informational technology career field for nearly 20 years. She had to go through a lot of schooling in order to obtain her job. She originally worked for 12 years in India and then moved to the United States in 2000 in order to have a more challenging job as well as a better life. She was kind enough to answer a few questions about her career.

What do you do at your job?

I make sure the software we develop works as per the requirements set forth by the customers, who are usually large companies. I work with different groups of people to make sure the customer’s specific needs are met. My title at my workplace is QA lead.

Why did you choose this line of work?

I chose this line of work because I like to work in a team and I like to have opportunities at my job in which I can learn how the whole field works. This career also gave me the chance to climb up the ladder of workplace hierarchy.

What education did you need to get to do this job?

I needed to get a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in engineering. This major was focused mainly on computer technology. I also had to obtain a minor degree in electronics.

Who, other than yourself, influenced your choice of this career?

I chose this career entirely on my own. I thought about my interests and hopes for the future and decided this career was the best choice for me. Your grandparents tried to get me into other careers, but I decided that my interests should be more important in my decision than their wishes.

Be honest. Was this your first preference in a career?

No, I originally wanted to be in the medical field. I wanted to be a doctor and go around and help those who lived in poverty by providing free healthcare. However, I had to be realistic in my decision, so I chose to go with computer engineering.

How is the work environment at your job?

It’s mostly sitting in front of a computer monitor and running programs to test other programs. However, we have meetings in a daily basis where our team collaborates and chooses a course of action for the day. You would think this job is solitary, but a lot of teamwork is involved.

What do you like about your job?

I like that I get to use my analytical skills and I like the reasonable salary I get. I also have the option to work from home on those really slow days. I even get to work with the latest technologies, which is a blessing on its own because it usually makes the job simpler for me.

What do you dislike about it?

I have to do extensive reading and studying behind the scenes to keep up to date with the newest programs. I also dislike when people’s personalities lead to conflict at my workplace. It leads to our progress being delayed and ruins people’s morale for the day.

How long do you plan to stay in this field and why?

I plan to stay in this field until I am old enough to retire. I plan to do this because it’s what I know best and it’s reasonably paying.

What advice would you give to those who want to do your job?

I would tell them to expand their knowledge beyond what is taught in classes. I would also advice them to do activities that require them to use their analytical skills. They would also need to do things to build their communication and teamwork skills as it is a huge part of this career. This job is not easy. You have to be prepared for it or you’ll get left behind in the dust. However, anyone can do it if they just put their minds to getting ready for it.