Interview with Computer Engineer Vincent C. | Teen Ink

Interview with Computer Engineer Vincent C.

Mr. Vincent C. has been working at the AT&T Lab for ten years. He took some time to sit down and chat about his job as a computer engineer.

What inspired you to become a computer engineer?

As a kid, I’ve always wanted to get a computer related job. I had a high interest in technology, and becoming a computer engineer seemed to fit in with my interests.

When you were younger, what other jobs attracted your attention?

I wanted to become a computer engineer or a scientist, but I decided to become a computer engineer. At the time, I thought about becoming a computer engineer in Taiwan, and it was easier to find a job as a computer engineer. However, even when I moved to the U.S., becoming a computer engineer was still a major interest.
What education did you go through?

I went to a four year university in Taiwan and studied Electrical Engineering. For my graduate studies, I went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a Master’s degree in Computer Engineers.

Why did you choose to work at AT&T Labs?

AT&T is a very well known company, and it attracted my attention. I decided to schedule an interview at AT&T Labs. I enjoy researching information for computer related topics, and I had worked with multi-media technology for several years before approaching this company. Since my skills were perfect for working at the Lab, I got the job right away.

What motivated you to work at AT&T labs for so many years?

The working environment was very good, and my co-workers were easy to get along with. There was a good pay, and my boss was pretty nice. It was also an excellent career path and I always learn new information from researching computer technology. Everything about AT&T Labs was perfect.

What did you do as a computer engineer?

I wrote a lot of computer programs. I also test many softwares, and developed internet-related software applications. I also helped developed IPTV, which is a internet based TV service. It’s a lot of fun working with all this amazing technology.

Around how much can a computer engineer earn per year?

It’s around $40,000-$120,000. As always, it depends on your experience and your performance. As for my personal salary, it is in the upper range because of my experience.

In a few years, are there any other professions you would like to seek?

No, I can still see myself working at AT&T. I don’t plan on switching companies; it’s really a perfect job for me. I’m more than satisfied with my current job.

What advice do you have for people who would like to purse the path of a computer engineer?

Try to excel in your math and science studies. As a computer engineer, you have to keep your mind open for all sorts of possibilities. As long as you work hard and try your best, you are sure to succeed.