Doggone Jewelry | Teen Ink

Doggone Jewelry

October 19, 2022
By Anonymous

Ruth Streeter is a 5’8”, curvy woman in her 50s, with shoulder-length hair dyed a deep auburn tone. Accompanied by pale skin and blue eyes, thin lips and a normal nose, she is larger in the hips and smaller in the chest. Her hair is pulled back, bangs in a pony-tail to stay out of her face, while the rest falls loose on her neck. Ruth is wearing a necklace, without any sort of jewelry, but rather a circular shape that seems to be made out of yarn, strings being wrapped around it. She is wearing a gray and white striped t-shirt, covered by a lighter gray thin cardigan, and black leggings.

She lives in a two-story house on Stony Hill Road, with her two dogs, husband, and 15 year-old daughter. If you were to ever visit, you would probably find her typing on her laptop in the living room, which has slate toned walls, cherry-wood flooring, and a colorful rug…There is a flat screen TV on top of a dresser, and to the left of it is a bag that contains figurines for Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure and Skylanders: Giants. Occasionally, Ace and Cooper will bark, in most cases Ace being the start, resulting in Ruth yelling at them to “SHUT UP!”

One of the things that Ruth does is rescue, her favorite part of it, “being able to volunteer to do home inspections and transport to help other animals find their forever home.” She started doing rescue when she and her family lost their dog at 14, it seemed right to do it again since the dog, Mikey, was a rescue. Ruth decided to work with the Circle of Hope in particular, having learned about it from highschool, “a friend of mine from highschool is an adoption coordinator with them, so I learned about it from her.” This woman is one of the few people who understands why getting a puppy isn’t always the best idea..What's the point in doing a rescue if you don’t get an older dog? “It feels more like a rescue, getting an older dog that hasn’t found a home yet,” she says, as of 2022 she and her family have two dogs, who were both 2 years old when rescued…They are currently 7 and 8.

Ruth also does direct sales, though first..if you were to ask her if she was to recommend rescue rather than buying, “Yes! Too many animals without a home, I’d rather support a rescue than put more money into a breeder’s pocket.” Back to the topic of direct sales, she has been doing it for 25 years, having started with Tupperware when her son was 4. Her favorite part about doing it is getting to connect with amazing people, and that “some will be friends for life.” If somebody asks her what drew her to them, she would respond with the ability to bring extra income into the house, “without a lot of time spent outside the home.” As of 2022, Ruth is currently doing 8 businesses, “But some I just joined to get the kit, and I’m not actively working them.” This woman makes a lot of money from direct sales, though she makes the most in Plunder Jewelry, “because I’ve been doing it for 4 years,” though she believes that this year it will be Banks Boutique Clothing.


The author's comments:

I always struggle with spacing out ideas to get enough writing down, so this was a challenge for me...I was most comfortable with interviewing my mother, so that's who I did.