Conservation Lives On | Teen Ink

Conservation Lives On

August 8, 2014
By CreativeArtist101 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida
CreativeArtist101 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The massive ancient creature moves from side to side waiting to lunge at his prey. His beady eyes focus on only one thing, the innocent dead chicken dangling from the hands of the presenter. The man launches the meat into the air creating a spiraling effect. The crowd roars with excitement and the intensity of the moment builds while the croc catapults himself into the air leaving everyone breathless. The scaly beasts’ jaws clamp down with lightning speed while the sound echoes across the arena like the crack of a whip. His back feet land grasping at the wet sand and his tremendous weight follows; a force to be reckoned with! The crowd finally lets out the breath it was holding and suddenly the voice of a born and raised Aussie comes to life over the speakers. A familiar phrase is shouted out “Crikey did you see that mate!” The man in the enclosure was my childhood hero, Steve Irwin, “The Crocodile Hunter.”

Many memories flood back to when I was a young girl. The sound of my feet running to mommy’s room just to tell her Steve Irwin was on. He was such a remarkable man who sadly lost his life in the line of duty, doing what he loved most. Steve Irwin was my favorite animal adoring personality on TV as a child and I looked forward to watching him every Saturday morning with anticipation. Steve was able to create an image and an understanding of knowledge that captivated me. He had an ability to draw me right into the TV and I felt like I was sitting next to him, my eyes watching in pure amazement.

If the opportunity arose for me to travel back in time and meet Steve Irwin the experience itself would be stunning. All my wildlife questions, answered…. “Really, what was it like attempting those dangerous yet beautiful acts?” “What made you yearn for the constant companionship of animals and fauna?” Steve wasn’t afraid to open up and share with the world the true reality of animal conservation and the heartbreaking preservation that still needs to occur today. Steve Irwin left a lasting legacy on the world not only through his research work but the invaluable insightfulness that he shared amongst countless others. Although I will never have the chance to meet him in person, perhaps one day I’ll travel to the land down under. Maybe I’ll have the opportunity to meet his family and close friends thus providing a window in to who Steve Irwin truly was ……. a loving father, husband, friend to mankind and most vividly in my memories, a friend to all creatures big and small. For me, Steve Irwin took me on his adventures from all the way across the world and showed me the truest form of what it is to be a conservationist - one who will never be forgotten.