Harold Wrightington | Teen Ink

Harold Wrightington

By camatuzzo GOLD, New City, New York
camatuzzo GOLD, New City, New York

Hakuna Matata

Growing up, I was close with all of my cousins but in particular I was closest with my cousin Harold. this was not for any reason other than the fact that we were the closest in age. But as I got older, I learned to appreciate the qualities my cousin possessed: strength, honor, dedication, and loyalty. He was an good person to everyone he encountered and would never have hurt a fly. Everyone loved Harold and the very qualities I saw in him were becoming apparent to everyone else. Unfortunately, that exposure wasn't until after he was diagnosed with brain cancer at the age of 12. He was so brave; he never was afraid of any treatment he had to go to or losing his hair. Harold had the type of strength that people can only wish of having and that is what kept him gong for as long as he did. My whole family rallied together around my aunt, uncle, and cousin Matthew, Harold's brother, since we knew they need the support. No one understood how it was fair that a 12 year old boy should have to encounter such hardship and pain but I just told myself that God had a plan for Harold and if He was going to take Harold from us, it was because He need Harold for something more important. And unfortunately, on July 4th, 2008, Harold was taken from us to complete whatever mission God intended for him. On that day, one of my heroes was taken from me with no explanation, only the memories of the short time I had with my cousin. That was one of the most difficult times of my life because how is a 10 year old kid supposed to comprehend that their cousin, who they loved with all their heart, is gone and never coming back? That you will never be able to see them again? Talk to them again? Most adults can't even comprehend that and I, a ten year old kid was expected to. But once again, I told myself that God wouldn't give me anything I couldn't handle and overcome. With that mentality, I have been able to move on. I still think about my cousin, my fallen hero, every day of my life but I am able to live my life to the fullest so that I can experience everything he wasn't able to.