Wreaked Stars | Teen Ink

Wreaked Stars

January 29, 2014
By madiioo SILVER, Mtc, Illinois
madiioo SILVER, Mtc, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

These rockstars may seem perfect on the outside, but on the inside they may just be like everyone else. A girl that can rock the stage, a boy that screams and sings like theres no tomorrow, and a man that has died but is still a legend maybe some of the most damaged and insecure people. Will these mental illnesses break these rockstars or make them.

Did Demi’s struggles make her a hero? Demi Lovato is one of great many talented artists. Most people know her as a ‘pop’ artist or that her music is catchy, but her music has a deep, personal meaning. Most talking about her darkest moments. Not to long ago Demi checked herself into rehab after she noticed she getting out of line with herself and other people. She was soon notified that she was bipolar and had an eating disorder. Demi also had a problem with self harm. Bipolar is when you are happy at one moment and then it’s like a light switch being turned on and all of a sudden you’re depressed or angry,or you’re angry or upset one moment and then you’re all of a sudden full of joy. An eating disorder is when you fast (which is going for long periods of time without eating) or you barf your food back up after you just ate. They do this because they feel like their body isn’t beautiful like society wants it to be. Through Demi’s struggles she not only saved herself, but many, many others, including mine, with her powerful story and inspirational music.

Did Gerard’s depression and soon social anxiety make his career drop yet keep his band alive forever? Gerard Way was in a band called My Chemical Romance. They started this band when they were teenagers. My Chemical Romance was a band for 12 years and ended in March of 2013. Gerard has been depressed on and off through his life. It didn’t help that when he was teenager his grandmother died of cancer. This inspired the album The Black Parade. It also inspired their song Helena. Later on through his career on May 19, 2012, My Chemical Romance was performing in Asbury Park, New Jersey when Gerard announced that it was time to stop, He was experiencing what he could only describe as “ a strange anxiety jetting through me that I can only imagine is the sixth sense one feels before their last moment”. Even after they ended their band performances, their music is still alive today and is listened to by thousands of people. My Chemical Romance saved lives and still saves lives today.

Did this rock legend die before his time but with enough time to define what would be our rock legends today? Jim Morrison’s career didn’t last long, but he still rocked. His music is still listened to by many people. When he first started he could barely play in front of his audience. His first few performances he had to play backwards. He had what they call social anxiety. Social anxiety is where you can’t be in really big crowd, let alone speak or sing in front of masses amounts of crowds. To cope with this, he began doing drugs that would help him perform better. Or did it? Like I said Jim Morrison’s career didn’t last long. The drugs he had been taking killed him when he was 27. He is still a rockstar today and is an inspiration to many musicians out there. In fact, one of his songs called ‘The End’ was very popular. It was about his darkest moments facing being alone and being depressed and his complicated feelings toward his parents.

These stars all had their moments, but they were still and inspiration to people in many ways. Their music is what kept them going. And them moving on towards whatever they needed to face their problems was a big step in both their careers and their lives. Being a rock star doesn’t mean you're perfect. In fact, they may be far from perfect. Take it from these people.


The author's comments:
This is one of the essays that I had done for an English assignment. In my opinion this is the best essay I have ever written. This kind of thing is a topic that I could go on and on about. I would just like to point out to everyone that just people these people are famous and seem like they have the best lives ever, doesn't mean that they don't have something in the back round of their careers. These mental illnesses can tear you down. Its a serious thing. Stay Strong.