My Hero Profile | Teen Ink

My Hero Profile

By s160411 BRONZE, Wauconda, Illinois
s160411 BRONZE, Wauconda, Illinois

“Its not about the date you were born or the day that you die its about the dash in between and what you make of it”. That is what pastor Skylar has told me since I found god. I’ve had many difficulties with finding god and becoming religious. You will always know when Skylar is in the room because his laughter is contagious and his spirit is full. Words cannot describe what an outgoing man he is. Skyler is truly the reason why I believe in what I do and has inspired me to do so much more. Pastor Skyler is the only person who I am truly amazed by.

Whenever you want to talk you can expect him at the nearest starbucks sipping down a hot coffee with his mac and bible making plans for the church and the next weeks sermon. One way that he has connected me with god are real life stories and situations that he and other people have been faced with. Every sunday he manages to give a great service that entitles bible verses and stories from the bible that connect to our everyday lives. Every service is new and exciting and brings hundreds of people including me closer to god. He is truly something special that he can bring anyone to believe. Pastor Skyler is truly someone to be amazed at because he can help anyone through tough times and through good times.

Something that he always tell me is that, “you will get there Ryan, ‘faith begins where logic ends”. His outgoing personality is hard to miss and his laughter is contagious. When Pastor Skylar was my age he was just learning to love god like I am and he reassured me that I am the future, and my faith will get better. Skylar has had to overcome many challenges in life. Whenever you are down and depressed you can reassure that his smooth voice and inspirational words will make you feel better. About two years ago he had to make a truly life changing decision and lose a major amount weight. He was very obese. With self determination he overcame obesity and it has sculpted him into the new man he is today.

There are some traits about him that you just can’t deny. His personality being one of them, and his style another. Whenever Skylar is in the room his laughter just fills you up with joy and spreads to everyone. He is always wearing a plaid shirt with jeans and sandals no matter the temperature. He will always have spiked hair in the front and a pair of big bold glasses that he wears. It would be a mistake if you didn’t see him with a starbucks coffee in hand at all times. Everybody loves pastor Skylar and his outgoing energetic personality is like no other. The other side of him is also very down to earth and humble in the form or compassion for everyone. He will always tell jokes about himself and his experiences to make people laugh. Every service entitles a real life story about the little bits of joy and happiness that happen in his family.

Pastor Skyler is truly someone to be amazed by because he is like no one other that I have ever met. He will constantly be there for everyone that he will ever meet. Because of this quote, “its not about the date you were born or the day that you die its about the dash in between and what you make of it” Pastor Skylar has helped me to make that dash so much in my short time on earth. His personality, style, ways of god, are just the little bits about him that make him such an amazing man.