A True Hero | Teen Ink

A True Hero

By MaryA BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana
MaryA BRONZE, Westfield, Indiana

My hero is not what you would find in a comic book. She cannot fly, turn invisible, or lift a car over her head. She can; however, restart school, be a remarkable cook, and still be a great mom. My hero is my mom, Staci. She was born on July fourth, 1967, Noblesville, IN. After her sister was born she moved to Illinois, where her youngest sister was born.
In 2006, she decided to go back to school for nursing. “I’ve wanted to be a nurse since grade school” she said, “I love to help people”. Currently she goes to Ivy Tech community college. By this summer she will be finished with her prerequisites and co-requisites. After she acquires her associate’s degree she then plans on earning her bachelors degree at Indiana University and Purdue University of Indiana.
When she was younger she took care of her two sisters, Tammy; who is five years younger, and Missy; nine years younger. Every night she would cook dinner for her mom, Judith and her dad, Thomas. By nine she loved to bake, her favorite item to make was cookies for school the next day. Her mom and grandma taught her how to cook. Every night she does not have school she cooks amazing dinners and when I am lucky she will make our favorite, Stir-in-the-Pan chocolate cake.
This semester she has four classes a week, is manager of a school uniform store, and spends as much time as she can with me. All moms would try this but she also stays up until two in the morning for homework and then gets up at six with me to get ready for work or school. She does all of this while also being a single mom. She takes me to see my dad every other weekend as well.

All of these things make her a great mom, school, cooking, and spending time with me gives her a twenty-four hour job. Super woman has an invisible jet, Spiderman can climb a wall but they cannot stand against my mom. They cannot work until two in the morning and then wake up at six. They cannot even rise to the same level of compassion she has for people. My mom is a true hero.

shamrocks12 BRONZE, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours."

Mary, I love this! I know your mom would too. :D

lynn35 said...
an awesome letter. what a great mom