Marion Rogers | Teen Ink

Marion Rogers

September 1, 2007
By Anonymous

Marion Rogers was a World War II veteran who fought in the war, and hunted on the side. He was friends with President Reagan, and even got a chance to go hunting with him down in Mexico. His blood- lines have been traced to Sam Houston. He is also my Great Grandfather.
As a child, I had the privilege of personally knowing all eight of my great-grandparents. Great Grandpa Rogers always stood out among the rest. Always kind-hearted, never grumpy unless I purposefully tested his patience, he was generous as well. I remember visiting his house often when I was young and I would leave, each time, with a bag full of pocket change. Known to be a stubborn man even in his old age, the thing that we kids feared above all else was being scolded by Great Grandpa Rogers. He never had it in his heart to physically discipline us when we misbehaved, but he never needed to, the tone of his voice was always enough to set us straight.
I remember how much I enjoyed coming to his house after school or on weekends with my family for dinner and visiting. My little tradition was always to go into the garage, every time I was at his house, just to stand and stare up at the multiple deer and elk heads hanging mounted on the wall. Various pointed antlers and racks stood mounted next to the heads. To a ten- year- old girl, it was an impressive display.
As he got older, Great Grandpa Roger’s mind began to slowly slip away. There were times where he couldn’t remember what had just happened a minute earlier. In a way it was sad, but he lived out the rest of his life with all the strength you would expect of a war veteran, and he died proudly.

There are no more tears when family members think of his death, only smiles. He lived his life to the fullest and we all know it. His chair still sits in front of the TV at my grandparents’ house, and sometimes if I concentrate, I can still hear his scolding words: “Hey you kids, move away from the TV!” Brittney Rebecca Butler This will certify that the above work is completely original