Notorious B.I.G. | Teen Ink

Notorious B.I.G.

By JCooney24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
JCooney24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Notorious B.I.G. has played a very important role in the rap and hip hop world. His work has influenced many others to try and become the best version of themselves whether that was in the rap world or not. For example, I enjoy listening to his music because it boosts my happiness and makes me feel better for the rest of the day. Tomorrow he would have turned 50 years old, so this is Notorious B.I.G. . . 

Christopher George Latore Wallace was an American rapper and songwriter who went by the stage name, the Notorious B.I.G., and Biggie. He is widely regarded as one of the best rappers of all time, with roots in the New York rap scene. Wallace became noted for his laid-back lyrical style, which helped to balance the poem's generally depressing subject. His music regularly depicts adversity and crime, as well as celebration and happiness.

Wallace became involved in the rising East Coast–West Coast hip hop dispute while making his second album in 1996. As a result of Wallace's public dispute with Tupac Shakur, allegations of involvement in Shakur's murder by criminal forces surrounding the Bad Boy group arose following his death in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas in September 1996. Wallace was killed in a drive-by shooting while visiting Los Angeles on March 9, 1997, six months after Shakur's killing. The perpetrator is still unknown. Wallace's second album, Life After Death, was released two weeks later as a double album. It went to number one on the Billboard 200 and was later certified as a diamond in the United States.

Growing up Biggie was the first rapper I ever listened to, it may not have been very appropriate to listen to at a young age but I was fortunate enough to be able too. Sitting in my backyard playing lacrosse thinking I was the coolest kid ever listening to songs with curse words that I had no idea what they meant like a favorite of mine “Old Thing Back”. Not being able to understand what half the words he said meant was very interesting to me. It was kind of like a puzzle in which I had to figure out the meaning of them. To this day I am still confused in some sections but Biggie's music played a large role in my life as well as others growing up around me.

Overall, Biggie Smalls played a very large role in the rap world, and the culture of rap. It is extremely saddening that he died at such a young age and there was much more he could do in the Rap world. It is deserving that we honor him and everything he did.