Dear WWII Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear WWII Veteran

By elo_a22 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
elo_a22 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear WWII Veteran,

As the prominent words “Oh say can you see” begin to engulf the crowded stands, each and every person silences, removes their hats, and stands tall facing the stars and stripes of the red white and blue flag. This is just any other Tuesday night hockey game for me, but I like to reflect on what you might have been doing on a Tuesday night just like this, in order to ensure that I am granted this freedom.

While many lived in shock and fear, you emanated true valor and courage by standing up against an enormous enemy. Designated as the Greatest Generation, you more than fulfill this title. I am well aware that a simple thank you could never measure up to how truly grateful I am for your sacrifices, however, since I am unable to meet you in person, I will attempt to show you how appreciative I am in writing.

My name is Elora, I am a senior from the small town of Hartland. Having just turned 18 in October, I am beginning to decide where I want my future to take me. I am aware that at this chapter in your life, your choices for your future were stripped away from you as you were taken away to war. My father was a fighter pilot in the Air Force for nearly 20 years. It is veterans such as yourself and him who have inspired me to continue this line of assuring the freedoms you sacrificed so greatly to maintain.

You have lived in a world that held an eminent threat of your freedoms being seized. Thanks to you, I have never had to experience such a harrowing emotion. An exemplary role model like you is exactly what urges me to protect our beautiful country with my life in the same way you wholeheartedly defended it with yours. The size of the debt this nation owes to you is incomprehensible. 

God Bless and Welcome Home!