Letter to a Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Vietnam Veteran

By Jaybirdwriting4 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Jaybirdwriting4 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

First of all, I would like to say welcome home. After your service, you didn’t receive the welcome home that you should have. Americans should have honored your sacrifice and commitment to this country.

My name is Jay, and I am a senior in high school. In the summer of 2015, I had the opportunity to go and see memorials in Washington D.C. I remember going to the Vietnam Memorial and seeing the wall with the names of those who sadly lost their lives in the war. I also remember the statue of the three men. Not only do these two monuments represent those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, but it also represents those who sacrificed and lived to tell the stories of war. With this memorial your actions are not forgotten. They do not go unrecognized or underappreciated, but rather are honored. The public can see these memorials and give thanks for those that have sacrificed and served.

In today’s society, many people don’t understand what true sacrifice is. Many people wouldn’t give up part of their life to go and serve for the greatest country in the world. Personally, I feel that coming home, after giving up part of your life, to a not so memorable, bitter welcoming is outright disgusting. To feel that your service didn’t have an impact is frightening. But after 50 years, as the new generation matures, we might not exactly know the hardship of war, but we do know that you endured mental and physical hardships for America. You endured challenges that have sparked a lasting impact on my generation as well as future ones.

Your service has inspired many Americans. Last year, I joined a club at my school known as SAVE. We interview veterans so that their memories and stories can be shared with the community. So that the community can learn about your heroism. So that 50 years later we Americans can say thank you and, of course, welcome home. God Bless