Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 6, 2014
By senior2015 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
senior2015 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Normally I didn’t open up to counselors or therapists. I found the situation awkward and unnecessary because why would a stranger want to hear about my problems? How could they ever relate to what I’m dealing with? How could they know what I go through each day? And how could they even help me when they know nothing about me? I had that mindset for the longest time, but the day I got called into her guidance office was one of the best days of my life.

There she was, Mrs. Mckenna--with her short, dirty blonde hair, very petite figure, wearing her fashionable clothes--standing outside of the guidance office, smiling at every kid that walked by. Of course that’s what guidance counselors are suppose to do. But when I walked by, I knew I needed to brace myself for what was going to happen…

“Hi Sam!! How ya doin today?!” was what I heard every time we crossed paths in the hallway. It was refreshing to know someone cared about how my day was going, refreshing to know that I had someone that listened, and refreshing to know someone cared as much as she did.

Michelle Mckenna was my guidance counselor my freshman and sophomore years of high school. Those were the hardest, most stressful two years of my life. Aside from a relationship of constant arguing with my boyfriend and my days filled with drama with best friend, I was failing school and I had no one to turn to. Finally, one day my friend told Mrs. Mckenna how horrible I was doing and how I was struggling to get by each day...so she took action.

She sat me down in her comfy chair next to a round table as I faced her desk full of plants and pictures of her family. She swiveled her chair to face me and asked, “What’s been going on with you lately?” Hearing those words was like all the chains that were restricting me from expressing how I felt in my head, suddenly broke. “Not good at all,” I said. And right then and there was when I trusted her with all my problems and they just started pouring out.

She was like Dr. Phil without the show. We talked for hours, but she didn’t want to take me from my schoolwork. That’s why we always met during my study halls. She gave me endless advice that stuck to me like glue and she helped me more then I think she gave herself credit for. All her kind words and endless school periods talking with me made a permanent impression on my life. My angry attitude diminished, as the love in my relationship grew, and I established a better bond with my friends.

Mrs. Mckenna was reliable, accepting, and determined to help me through all my bad times. And she did. When I walked through the high school halls my freshman and sophomore years, I knew I had a friend. And I knew I had an adult I could look up to for advice and no matter what, she never judged me for anything I said. So thank you, Mrs. Mckenna--you will always be my favorite guidance counselor.