Mr. Stuber | Teen Ink

Mr. Stuber

By Iamwriting1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Iamwriting1 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

As a freshman boy in high school, you can feel sad because of things that have happened in the past, or that are going on in your current life. I felt this way, especially because of my dad not telling me that he was moving away. This led me to go talk to my school counselor, Mr. Stuber. 

“Do you have time to talk?” These are the first words I ever said to Mr. Stuber. That very day I asked that question, I talked for forty minutes about myself. Letting all my emotions out that I couldn’t to anyone else, because then I look weak.

He was the person that helped me with so many of my problems. He helped me the first day we met, up until this very day. I felt relief talking to him about things I didn’t want to talk to my parents about. He isn’t just a counselor, he’s a friend. He would learn stuff about me that I have only told the closest people.

A couple times is when he helped me through the stuff that happened with my step dad. He would talk to me about when my step dad went to the hospital for having too much alcohol in his system. He would talk to me about it and try to make me feel better.

A couple of months later, my step dad was drunk again, playing video games until he woke me up for school. He went to hang out with his parents the night before with my younger brother, and didn’t come back until midnight. I forgot my lunch, and asked if my grandma could bring me some. I asked her if he went to the hospital again, and she said no. “Your mom told him she wants a divorce.”

Mr. Stuber talked me through this time, letting me express my emotions while he listened. He would give me food, play chess with me, and talk with me. He was like the father I wish I had growing up. He helped me so much through those months and up to this day.

I wanted to let you know that I am thankful for all those times that you have helped me in the past. You have made me a better person, and thanks to you, I have been able to feel so much better. I know so many more people feel the same way about you. I already know that you’ll make more students feel happy, and help them get better. What I am trying to say is, thank you Mr. Stuber.