Lori Harrigan | Teen Ink

Lori Harrigan

By ccruppy SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ccruppy SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Coach Lori was someone who I always feared. I feared her because she pushed me. She always had a reason for it too. She was my biggest fan. Above all my parents and other coaches, she was the one who wanted me to succeed the most. 

I have had many coaches in the past, but none of them stand out as Coach Lori does. She never once gave up on me. Even when I see her at the rink today she is there cheering me on and giving me the motivation to be better. 

Coach Lori made me angry. But she knew what she was doing. Every time she would yell at me to stop coasting, she knew what she was doing. Every time she told me to skate faster, she knew what she was doing. She was digging for the passion. She helped me find my passion for Hockey. 

I remember one game in particular, we were up in Green Bay for a tournament. I was coming back to the bench after my shift just dreading what she was going to say about how I played. “You have got to stop coasting! If I see it again your not playing anymore!” She told me as I sat down. My heart sank, I was in shock that she would actually bench me. I wanted nothing more than to keep playing. But every time I thought I was playing my hardest, to her I wasn’t. 

There was so much frustration built up in me. I was so mad I couldn’t even look at her. I went out for my next shift ready to prove her wrong. The second I stepped on that ice I gave it my all, I didn’t stop until I had to get off. I stepped back on that bench and looked up at coach. She had the biggest smile on her face. She grabbed me by the helmet, “Now that's what I wanted to see, you kicked it into third gear!” 

Coach Lori was someone who I will never forget. Someone who made me the hockey player I am today. She was the one who never gave up on me and dug deep to find the missing passion I needed. Coach Lori is the reason I love Hockey. 

Although it took me until now to realize it, I will be forever thankful for Coach Lori and the never-ending faith she put in me. Thank you Coach Lori for helping me find the passion and love that I have for hockey. Without you, I wouldn’t be where I am today.