Mrs. Jennifer Passler | Teen Ink

Mrs. Jennifer Passler

April 12, 2022
By KATECRG7 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
KATECRG7 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was sitting in my first period class, American Literature, after waking up and forcing myself to come to school. It was my senior year at Arrowhead High School and more importantly the day after the Waukesha Christmas Parade. I fought back the urge to vomit and loaded up our test on my computer screen. I was about to hit start when I felt a hand rest on my shoulder.

I looked up to see my teacher Mrs. Passler, with the saddest smile I’ve ever seen on her normally sunny face. “Hey, Katherine.”

I couldn’t respond, not knowing what to say as I saw the tears begin to fall from her eyes, trying her hardest to console me as she was fighting to hold it together around the other students. We talked briefly, she checked in on me, excused me from taking the test that day and we cried together.

I’ve never been so vulnerable with an educator before, and I’ve never had one be so vulnerable with me. She understood exactly what I was going through. This is a gesture that I will never forget.

As the weeks went on after that event, I found it difficult to focus during my classes. With images replaying in my head I would find myself zoning out more than I was paying attention. However, there was always one class that I never had this issue in, I was always able to stay engaged in American Literature. I’m not exactly sure why this is, but I have a few ideas.

Mrs. Passler is an extremely animated person and her excitement about the subjects being taught translates to her students. The way she taught allowed me to focus on what we were learning. I could tell how passionate she is about what she teaches and that she really wants her students to learn and grow in her classroom. I also felt extremely safe in her classroom. She always has a very approachable, kind exterior and has supportive stickers and posters plastered around her room. It was something small that I noticed but put a smile on my face and made me more comfortable coming to class.

Mrs. Passler isn’t just an amazing teacher, she is also an enthusiastic club advisor, amazing mother, and reliable adult that I feel like I could speak to if I ever need help with anything.

Outside of her curriculum, she’s made me want to become a more compassionate person. I have a lot of anxieties that often show themself in a school environment. I know a lot of people that are the same and want to provide them with the same comfort and peace of mind that Mrs. Passler has given me. The lessons she has taught me and the kindness she has shown me will stick with me forever.