Mrs. Moseler | Teen Ink

Mrs. Moseler

March 10, 2020
By Mason-Madson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mason-Madson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 4 photos 0 comments


Where do I begin? I think I should start with what I did before finding you. I was a kid that always created. At a young age, I found myself creating games and activities to do on my own. I never had a “next-door neighbor” unless you want to count the five horses and six buffalo in my backyard. Although that’s how I learned and grew up I always liked the satisfaction of creating something. That’s why I created a quote, it says, “Create, never follow”. I’ve lived by this quote ever since I made it in 6th grade. Being adopted and a part of the 8 dark-skinned people at North campus I always stood out. 

As I looked through the course guide, halfway through the second semester of freshman year, I found myself looking into the art section. It never crossed my mind that I could be an artist of some sort, but I decided to take the gen ed classes of art. 

When my first high school art class came, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew I wasn’t a good drawer, not even close, but I also knew needed to try and see if I like it. I mean I did have 3 days to drop the class…

After taking the beginning art classes I made my way to North campus. The shrine of Arrowhead High school. The place where everyone thinks you can get away with anything and that teachers don’t care anymore. Although that may be the case for some that was never the case for me. 

In the first semester of junior year, I took digital art and design in Ms. Mook’s class. There I found what I liked...the computer. I started my journey of art there. As time passed I took advanced 2D with my favorite teacher. You. Mrs. Moesler. 

The moment I stepped in that class I was nervous because I’m not a drawer and you more than anyone knows that. But you reassured me that 2D DOES NOT just have to be a pencil to paper. Instead, it can be so much more. I started creating things on my computer and becoming familiar with photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator. From there on I was hooked. Art became more of an addictive drug than a class in high school. When the school year ended I started to really push my hobby of photography as I knew I was going to be taking it first semester with you. 

When I started photography, you knew I would be a great fit for the class. I started creating and showing you work I did outside of class and my plans for my business. You were there to support and to offer feedback. I want to express my greatest gratitude to you. So now here comes the feelings.

Mrs. Moesler, thank you. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for sharing your love for art with me. Thank you for the fun memories and laughs we have had together. As I leave for college in the next few months I want you to know this: If it weren’t for you, I probably wouldn’t have gotten into a college. I probably wouldn’t have the drive I have today for photography if it weren’t for you. You have shaped and molded me into the artist I am today. Where photography and my schooling takes me I will always have you in the back of my mind and trust me when I say this when I’m rich and famous you will be the first person who gets a cut. In all seriousness, I don’t think you get the recognition you deserve. I see you almost every day and see your dedication to your job. Yes, it can be stressful but that doesn’t stop you from being in a great mood. Sometimes life just gets the best out of us, but I know for a fact that if it’s a bad day I will bring you up, and you will do the same. The connections and bonds we have are unbreakable. 

I have learned so much from you, and yes that’s even when my head is down in class. If I were to be asked who inspires you the most I’d give them my honest response and say, my art teacher. There are so many reasons but one main reason is you are not just an educator you’re a role model. You shape the next generation into the modern world of art. Although not all your students go to art classes you still push for them to consider it. When I am in MIAD next year and hear about the new students from Arrowhead high school. I will know who sent them over. 

Thank you again Mrs.Moesler. I’m not the best with words but I do want to extend my gratitude towards you. I hope this makes it clear that what you do is very important and impactful. 

-Mason