Mrs. Koch | Teen Ink

Mrs. Koch

Going into junior year at Arrowhead High School, I was nervous. This is the year to prove myself, to do well, and to work hard. When signing up for classes the previous spring, I was dreading pressing the button to move Chemistry into my schedule. I liked science but Chemistry felt different and overwhelming. Rumors spread about which teachers were good and which weren’t and I wasn’t sure what to believe.

On the first day, I was excited to have Mrs. Koch but nervous I wouldn’t succeed. I rounded the corner and saw a woman standing outside the doorway smiling. She handed me a piece of paper and welcomed me. Feeling relieved, I looked down at the paper. Silicon. I scanned the room to see what others were doing and noticed some people had symbols for each element. I found the symbol that matched mine and we sat next to each other. I was thankful she had this activity. I think it made us closer and prepared us for our groups. I looked forward to going to her class because she made it feel like I had a family at school.

Mrs. Koch had a way of making everything fun. Whenever she had a demo, I saw her eyes light up as we circled around her. I’ve never met someone so passionate and excited to do something. It amazed me that she could have this much fun doing a lab that she’s done dozens of times. She didn’t just teach us Chemistry, but also to be kind and find something that you truly love doing. I admire her love for teaching and the way she communicates with students.

In the middle of October, I tore my IT band during cross country. She had a genuine look on her face as she came over to me and asked if I was okay. I don’t think Mrs. Koch ever knew this but it meant a lot to me. I had been having a bad day with my friends and felt disconnected. She made me feel like someone cared. By asking if I was okay after an injury, Mrs. Koch showed me to be compassionate and to check up on others even if you don’t know them well. 

At the end of the semester, I talked to her about how I thought I wasn’t going to do well on the final exam. She looked me in the eyes and assured me that I would do well—that I put in the work throughout the semester, and if I needed help with anything to let her know. She has faith in every student. When I changed teachers second semester I was disappointed, I knew I wouldn’t have the same connection with the other teachers like I did with Mrs. Koch.