The Day Things Could’ve Gotten Worse | Teen Ink

The Day Things Could’ve Gotten Worse

By Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other
Maiwenn.J GOLD, Tirana, Other

On a sunny day in Durres, 2009," Boid was playing near the pool with his friend Matia. The parents were busy talking, while Boid and Matia were playing with the new iron man Matia received as a gift. But they didn't know they would quickly be interrupted by a disaster.
Boid and Matia were huge fans of super heroes. He was eager to show Boid what his new iron man could do. Matia was pretending to make the iron man do backflips and crazy moves until, “FLOP” the iron man fell in the pool.
“NO Matia, why did you do that!” Boid exclaimed. Boid was looking at the plastic iron man that was drowning in the clear blue water.
“Just try and reach for it,” Matia says.
“No I can’t my arms are not long enough, you do it.”
“I can't do it either Boid.” Matia insisted. “Are you scared to fall in the water?”
  Boid tried to reach for it, with his feet. He couldn’t. Then he tried to reach it with his hands, but the iron man was too far under water. He stopped for a second, wondering what to do. He felt useless, and even though he didn’t drop the iron man, he felt guilty that he couldn't get the iron man back. He starts walking closer to the edge of the pool. He saw the iron man sinking deeper. Boid saw Matia’s shadow reflecting on the pool. Suddenly he felt a slight push in his back, and the next thing he hears is...
“SPLASH!”
Boid panicking, was gasping for air, as he was moving his arms and legs at an incredible speed. He tried grabbing the concrete edge of the pool without success. As he managed to put his head up he shouted, “Matia help I can't swim!”
“Haha stop it, you're just joking,”Matia responded.
Boid felt water entering in his lungs. He couldn't go back up. He finally touched the bottom part of the pool. Boid tried again but he didn't have anymore strength or energy. He opens his eyes, yet to see only blue. The strong chlorine was irritating his eyes. He tried opening his eyes again, and then he saw the red and gold plastic iron man. He struggled to get the iron man, but eventually he stopped trying.
While Boid was drowning in the pool, Matia was in panic. When Matia’s cousin, a 16-year-old girl arrived in the garden she asked…
“Where is Boid?”
Matia was ashamed of what happened and he was speechless. The cousin glanced at the pool to see that Boid was drowning.
“What did you do?” exclaimed his cousin.
Matia tried explaining, but was interrupted by the loud sound of his cousins dive.
Boid was now in the water for about two minutes. After that he totally blacked out and just remembered the coldness of the pool. The darkness invaded his thoughts and he wasn't able to move.
The cousin of Matia carried Boid back out of the water and laid him on the concrete edge of the pool. They were both all soaking wet. Matia’s cousin told him to go get Boid’s parents. Matia and his cousin explained everything to the parents of Boid. They changed Boid’s clothes and gave him a warm blanket. Boid couldn't stop coughing, so the parents decided it was best to go to the hospital. His dad started the engine and the car left as fast as possible. While they were driving back to Tirana to go to the hospital, Boid had a hard time breathing. He tried remembering exactly what happened, but couldn’t  connect the things that he remembered.
They finally arrived to the hospital, and they didn't wait very long to get a doctor rapidly. He checked Boid’s pulse for 10 seconds, and saw Boid was ok. Boids parents felt relieved that nothing bad happened. The doctor gave a serum glucose infusion to give Boid some energy. He also told them that Boid had to stay in the hospital for the night just in case there was a problem.
Boid thought over and over of what happened that day, but his last thought he could remember was the iron man he saw on the floor of the pool. He felt tired, and frightened on how things could've gotten worse. He was very curious and confused about why Matia pushed him in the water, and also why he didn't go get someone to help him, but no one except for Matia knows the whole story.
9 years later, Boid still asks himself how he was lucky that the cousin of Matia came in time to save him. The main question that Boid still asks himself is what if no one was here to save him? What could've happened?

Story about one of my classmate.