Kathleen | Teen Ink

Kathleen MAG

There is not one day that goes by when I don't think of my baby and her new parents. She just turned three years old on January 15, 1995.

The age of fifteen was not a very good time for this to happen. It was a long time before I would admit to myself that I was pregnant. On December 7, 1991, I finally told someone the secret that I had been hiding for seven and a half months. The first person I told was my friend, who took me to a guidance counselor who called my sister to take me to the doctor.

The results were positive. I then discussed my options with my doctor and my sister. I could either keep the baby or give her up. Abortion wasn't considered because I was so far along, and I do not believe in it. I had to consider the fact that my pregnancy was almost over, so I didn't have much time to think about what to do.

Next, I had to tell my family that one of my fears had come true at such a young age. I wrote my father a note telling him what had happened. Then I left the room so he could read it and have time to think. My father came to my room and put his arm around me. He told me they would support me and everything would be all right. My father took my mother out for a ride when she came home from work. When they came home, my mother told me the same thing.

I decided to go through an adoption agency and I was determined to find the best and most loving parents I possibly could for my baby. The decision was made. Ted and Patty could support and care for her more than anyone else.

On January 14, 1992, I began having contractions while my tutor was at the house. My brother was going to take me to the hospital for a non-stress test because my doctor thought I was one week late. When I got there, they admitted me. Later that day my family came to the hospital to be with me.

Around midnight Ted and Patty came to the hospital to be with me through the labor. This made me tremendously happy. I could feel they cared a great deal about me as well as the baby. Ted and Patty asked me if I had a name for the baby. I told them, no. I really did have a name for her, but I knew they would be raising her so I wanted them to pick a name.

At 12: 07 p.m., Kathleen was born. I don't think I have ever made two people so happy in my entire life (except my parents, of course). It made me happy to see them so excited. To this day, I know I made the best decision for Kathleen and me, and I'm glad that she has wonderful parents and a stable home.

I don't know how I could ever repay or thank my family and friends for their support. c

abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

"every guitar needs to be tuned" which means everyone needs help with something

Thats beautiful I'm so sorry i had an abortion last year I feel your pain.