The One | Teen Ink

The One MAG

By Anonymous

   I believe in true love. But what is true love? Is it when you're with somebody and you don't believe that there could ever be anyone else in your life? Is it when you see this person and your heart flutters, you become speechless, and your knees become weak? Or is it when you think about this person all day, every day, in your dreams, at your work, and everywhere you are? I don't get it. Why does it have to be so difficult?

I think that there is one person on Earth for everybody no matter what they look like, how they act, or who they are. I think that I have found the person who I am supposed to be with for the rest of my life. But that's just the problem. I think I have found this person. If he is "the one," shouldn't I be sure? Shouldn't I know that it is true? When any happy couple is asked the question, "How did you know that he/she was Athe one?'" Their response is always, "We just knew ... right from the beginning." You see, that doesn't make sense to me. How could you know right away? I have found out that the more I know "him," the more I love him, because I get to know him better and like everything I know about him, that I have found out about him, and everything that I will learn about him in the future. I think that being with somebody is all part of getting to know him.

Another question I ask myself is, "Is it always supposed to be perfect?" I mean, are we allowed to have problems and break-ups and arguments and still be meant for each other? We have broken up and I have tried to get over him and have relationships with other guys, but I always end up comparing every move of every other guy with "his." I try to put my feelings for him in the back of my mind because I figure that there is no hope for us, and then they all surface again when I least expect it. Of course there have been problems in the past, but the good outweighs the bad, and no one makes me happy the way he does, and that is why I give our relationship a second and third thought.

Another setback in this situation is that we are young and we have our whole lives to look forward to, but many "high school sweearts" have long and happy lives together. Two prime examples are his parents and mine. His parents met when they were fourteen and sixteen. They have been together ever since, so I think we have a good chance of continuing the tradition of our parents.

All these questions race through my head day after day, hour after hour, until I can't sleep or concentrate on sports, school, or anything else. I sit and wonder if what I have is true love, and if it isn't, then what else could it be? Or could true love (or any other kind of love) be any better than what I have?

If anyone can answer these questions, they must have some kind of special powers, because for the life of me I can't. I guess I'm just going to have to live my life and let things happen as they may. "The one" will be there when I least expect it, or has "he" been there ever since? Ohhhh ... Here we go again .... c