Courage | Teen Ink

Courage MAG

There are many different types of courage that are called for in life. The courage that David displayed in challenging Goliath, the courage that Cal Ripken Jr. showed in his pursuit of the streak of consecutive games played, or Christopher Reeve's courage in pushing on. There is another kind of courage that involves doing the right thing, and this can be the biggest challenge of all.

When one of my dearest friends just died, I was asked if I would say something at the service. What made this particularly hard was that this friend was an adult; an adult with a child's heart and sense of humor. This made it that much harder, because not only was there love, but the deepest, utmost respect. I was hesitant because of the pressure and emotions that would be thrown on me that day, yet it was those emotions that pushed me to do it. My respect and love was so deep that it would have been a disgrace had I not expressed them.

And on that day I stepped to the podium and fought my tears to deliver the eulogy. It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done, and I could have easily declined the request and no one would have known, but I couldn't go through life knowing I didn't stand up for a friend. No one may have known that I didn't have the courage, except the ones who matter most; me and Mr. Crowe. I will forever remember what I did for him, and I think the most comforting thought is that Mr. Crowe will never forget it either.