How justice works in th FBI | Teen Ink

How justice works in th FBI

By Terry Louis BRONZE, Deer Park, New York
Terry Louis BRONZE, Deer Park, New York

In the United States, we have seen or heard of many of the biggest evil individuals or group being prosecuted and tried to the Federal court around the U.S. As they are being tried in Court, prosecutors bring forward amazing detailed evidence in front of the Judge and the jury to prove the wrong doings these individuals have done and, prosecutors try to get them off the streets to teach them and others, a lesson about the crimes they have committed and how serious it can affect innocent people around them. When the prosecutors win there case, the victims of the guilty villains are happy and, American citizens seem safer now knowing, that he/she will spend time in federal or state prison. Prosecutors then now wait for another case to come in. Little do many Americans know, these prosecutors are actually investigators whose jobs are to investigate crimes to keep the country safe? Who are these investigators who were involve in persecuting this case so that they can make the Country a lot safer and, protect it from future crimes? This job on a federal Jurisdictions, belong to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, popularly known as the FBI, plays a critical role in performing the task of protecting and defending the U.S against Terrorist and foreign threats, to uphold and enforce Criminal laws, and providing leadership to other agencies throughout the United States. It's origins dates back to 1886, a few years before it was creates when the Supreme Court in Washbash, St. Louis & Pacific railroad Company V. Illinois ruled that states are powerless against regulating interstate Commerce. This Supreme Court decision resulted in the Interstate Commerce Act of 1887 which created a federal responsibility for interstate law enforcement. Attorney General Charles Joseph Bonaparte attempted to reach out to many agencies like, the secret Service to borrow it's agents to be used in Federal Investigation. Congress later rejected the idea passing a law in 1908 for that decision to be taken into effect. So, Bonaparte organized a formal bureau of Investigation (BOI) creating his own staff of agents. Its jurisdiction derived from the interstate commerce act of 1887, and it was officially created on July 26, 1908 with the support of President Theodore Roosevelt.

During its early years, the FBI task was to arrest criminals and enforce laws design to prevent similar situations. It name was rename from Bureau of Investigation to US Bureau of Investigation, followed by the Division of Investigation (DOI) before finally BECOMING THE FBI in 1935. The director of the previous BOI, J. Edgar Hoover became the first FBI director and served for nearly 48 years until his death in 1972. He became the FBI director a time where the FBI start becoming well known to American citizens. It apprehended or killed a lot of notorious thugs and Criminals who perform kidnaping, robberies and murders throughout the United States. To the FBI response to the Crime wave of the Great Depression, laws were pass to extend FBI jurisdiction and to prevent more crime from occuring. Later on in the 1940-1960's the FBI became well known in aprehending members of the Ku Klux Klan, Nazi agents and soviet spies seeking violence in the US. From 1960'S to present, the FBI started spying on people believe to be a threat and started to introduce New technology in the agency. After the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act (RICO Act) took into affect, FBI agents began investigating former prohibition groups and organize crime family such as the mafia and major gangs. It also have increased it's role in counter terrisiom in the 1990's due to increase in terroism and it has very much changed since September 11th.

FBI continue to be important in protecting the country aginst crimes and they continue to help people feel safe so that they are able to do what they have to do. It's leadership in crime in counter terroism has been shown throughout the world and, it has changed the laws in the US to protect avery american citizen. With new technology and better laws, the FBI promise to stay one step ahead of criminals.