16 and driving | Teen Ink

16 and driving

By Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Asia_Monay GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

I still remember it like it was yesterday, you’re probably wondering what I’m talking about? Well driving is what I’m talking about I had never got in a car until that day in 10th grade. They said driving was so easy they fooled me.

I remember I was up my first my driver’s education teacher Mr. Lepre said “I want you to start this car and drive it”. In my head I’m thinking what he wants me to drive? I remember that antsy feel I had I’m sweating my hands are sweaty and have a huge lump in my stomach. I was doing fine until I turned left instead of right and hit the fence. I was embarrassed but he said it happens to first time drivers.

After my first drive we drove everywhere from and I was comfortable. Some days I even did better than my partner and he was jealous so he’d make slick comments. Everything went well until I had a concussion that was the worst time of my life. I just started driving getting a feel for it then that happens. I was out of school for a week and a half luckily my teacher was nice enough to give us more days.

I came back to school and we got back to it I thought I would fail. I didn’t and within a month I got my blue slip and permit I felt accomplished. I like driving till this day but of course my over protective mom wouldn’t let me. I’m now on my second 6 months of driving and I’m still not driving. Hopefully on my 17th birthday my mom buys me a car I deserve it or so I think.

I just wanted to tell you about my first experience of driving at 16. Hopefully I won’t hit any more fences or nonetheless people. If you’re about to drive remember stay safe and cautious.