Emily | Teen Ink

Emily MAG

By Anonymous

     Her arms take a leap and throw themselves onto your shoulders. You turn around and get a quick vision of her smile, encompassing most of her face, leaving you with a feeling of warmth that tugs at your heart. You don't speak, you don't move, you just smile.

You place her small body on your lap, and sit calmly as the strong smell of Johnson & Johnson's shampoo rises from her soft hair into your nostrils. Her small fingers move to make circles on the top of your knee, and you notice how her small laugh grows as she watches the cartoon on the TV. You don't move, you don't speak, you just listen.

"Can you hold my hand all day?" her little voice asks.

"Of course," you reply. "All day long." Her hand slides into yours, and you look down to notice how her small fingers disappear into your hand the same way it would for the next two months that would follow that afternoon.

"And when we leave today we can't come back until next summer, right, Hilly?" Her confusion is leaving you breathless, as you feel the slow sting of tears desperately trying to make their way from your dark eyes.

"Yeah, Emily." You take a short pause to catch your breath. "Today is the last day." You bend down to give her one last hug and feel her small arms hold tight around your neck. Her small head rests on your bare shoulder, and you feel the warmth of her tears dripping little by little.

"I love you!" she shouts, as she walks away, trying to smile. You smile, wave for a second, and watch as she gets farther and farther away. You don't move, you don't speak, you just watch.