The Art of Scrapbooking | Teen Ink

The Art of Scrapbooking

January 7, 2009
By Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida
Kaitlynn GOLD, Newberry, Florida
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Scrapbooking. What is it, you ask? Scrapbooking is a hobby. With a scrapbook, you can document and show off your favorite memories, from a family trip to your pets’ lives. People all over the world use it to document some of their favorite memories. It is very popular these days.

Scrapbooking first came about in Europe in 1570. It became popular to depict the bright Carnival scenes with colored papers. These were sold as embellishments. Modern photography helped to further the popularity of scrapbooking; this usually consisted of photos with notations about who was in the picture. They also often contained newspaper clippings and other memorabilia.

The person most often credited for reviving scrapbooking in the USA is Marielen Christensen. She and her husband, who live in Utah, wrote a book, Keeping Memories Alive, which tells you how to scrapbook. They also opened a scrapbook store in 1981, which is still open today.

The process of scrapbooking is fairly simple, but it can be expensive if you take it seriously. The basic materials are background papers, glue, a 12x12 scrapbook, and of course, photos. Then there are the various things you can use to decorate your photos. These include stamps, stickers, stencils, and craft scissors, among other things.

Scrapbooking is a very fun, easy hobby that has grown in popularity over the years. According to Wikipedia, scrapbooking is more popular than golf The website states that while one in four houses has someone who plays golf, one in three has someone who scrapbooks.