Caffeine | Teen Ink

Caffeine

June 4, 2014
By Gabby Ferrante BRONZE, Weldon Springs, Missouri
Gabby Ferrante BRONZE, Weldon Springs, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Caffeine falls under the stimulant class and effects on the Central Nervous system.” (Lewis) Many say caffeine is bad and people should not consume it, but caffeine has many advantages. Caffeine is the most widely used drug. “(Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings’)
Caffeine works by stimulating the central nervous system, heart, muscles, and the centers that control blood pressure. Caffeine can raise blood pressure, but might not have this effect on people who use it all the time. Caffeine can also act like a “water pill” that increases urine flow. “(Caffeine)’But again, it may not have this effect in people who use caffeine regularly. Also, drinking caffeine during moderate exercise is not likely to cause dehydration. “(Caffeine: Medline Plus)’ “In addition to various psychological and physiological benefits, numerous studies have documented caffeine's ergogenic (ergogenic: increasing the capacity for bodily labor by eliminating fatigue symptoms) effect on athletic performance, particularly in regard to endurance.”

“Soda, tea, coffee beans, caffeine is found everywhere and its easy to access due to be being naturally in food and drinks.” (Lewis) Caffeine may be addictive, but has also appeared to enhance mood, temporarily physical stamina and also believed to relieve headaches. “FDA has approved caffeine as a pain relieving drug.” “(Caffeine’) Has creams have been infused with caffeine to help clear redness, dryness and itchiness of the face. Caffeine content can range as much as 160 milligrams to four milligrams of caffeine. “Decaffeinated coffee means no content of caffeine but little did you know decaffeinated coffee still contains some caffeine.” (Lewis)

Too much Caffeine can lead to many problems or complications, but than again too much of anything can lead to complications. “When consuming caffeine few hours before bed it may be hard to fall asleep.” (Caffeine: Medlineplus’)When the body is use to too much caffeine it starts to have withdraws which can be; headaches, grogginess, irritability, nausea, and or vomiting. (Lewis)

When the body is use to getting large amounts of caffeine and that is taken away or limited the body may begin to have withdrawals. These withdrawals can lead to a very unpleasant experience, but the symptoms may last a few days to a week. In some serious cases caffeine withdrawal have been recognized as a disorder. Withdrawals can cause headaches/irritability, chills and or hot spells, decreased alertness, depressed mood, difficulty concentrating or thinking, digestive issue, fatigue, lethargy, muscle stiffness and or sinus issues. “Around half of people experience caffeine withdrawal symptoms when they cut back of or eliminate caffeine, and experimental studies have shown that around 13 percent of people experience such severe symptoms.” “(Caffeine Withdrawal Symptoms)’. The more caffeine a person consumes the larger chance of having withdrawals due to the body having the higher doses. As little as three consecutive days of caffeine consumption can be enough to cause caffeine withdrawal symptoms after caffeine consumption ends. “(Caffeine Withdrawal Symptoms)’. The easiest way to reduce these symptoms is by drinking more caffeine. A the way of avoiding symptoms is planning on cutting out caffeine is by reducing the amount little by little until being able to not need any. By limiting caffeine it allows the body to adjust better than just going cold turkey.
Caffeine does not make someone more aware of their surroundings it alters the way the brain and the body functions. “Too much Caffeine can cause increased heart rate, vomiting, nausea, excessive urination, anxiety, restlessness, depression, tremors, and difficulty sleeping.” “(Caffeine’) “Therefore since Caffeine is so addictive, the best way to avoid these complications would be too limiting Caffeine to none at all.” (Lewis)

If Caffeine is consumed it should be to a small amount or possibly to none at all. Caffeine has been reported to decrease fertility rate, and increase miscarriages from as little as one cup of coffee per day. “(Caffeine: Medlineplus’)Due to the effects of Caffeine it not only changes the way the body works it also alters behavior and feelings. “Effects of Caffeine have been known to make people jittery or shaky, and increase heart rate or even make the heart have an irregular rhythm. “(Lewis)