Expertise | Teen Ink

Expertise

By PARAS SILVER, Princeton Jct., New Jersey
PARAS SILVER, Princeton Jct., New Jersey

“Dance as though no one is watching you,
"Love as though you have never been hurt before,
Sing as though no one can hear you,
Live as though heaven is on earth.”

Expertise. When people hear that word the first thing that usually goes through their mind is well, being an expert on something. The definition of being an expert is by oxford dictionary: a person who has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge of or skill in a particular area. Well this is true, technically speaking when you go to an expert on a kingdom you depend on them to know the answer to all your question. For example, if I go to my social studies teacher and ask her about something that we have learnt in class I want her to know the answer. This is the case among adults and kids, but what about teens? Teens and kids have a different version of seeing how expertise work; well we see everything through a different pair of eyes. For us expertise is how much we know on a topic, if we know enough knowledge, this means on how to do something better than the average person then we consider ourselves an expert. Why am I going on about experts? This is because in IRLA we have recently done a project on experts, and my eyes have been opened to the whole world of expertise. In IRLA our teacher gave us a presentation that we had to do on something that we were an expert on. There were a few catches to the presentation though, while normally teachers want people to write bullet points and expand on them, this time we had to write all the text that we were going to say on the power point. Even though this was a tad bit challenging we managed to all do it, and I got an A.