My Grandfather | Teen Ink

My Grandfather

My grandpa has been suffering from diabetes and Roomitory Arthritis for many years. It is bazaar because he is the only one with major health problems in my immediate family. My grandfather was almost contorted in a way. But, he was strong and loyal. He did everything he could to keep going. When I was born the one thing he wanted to do with me was to take me to Disney World. Since he lived in Florida, I got to go there. He also wanted to be able to come to my dance recitals when I was younger and he did get to come to a few. He supported me in school, sports and was there when I needed him even though he was in a different state. He was like a best friend.
My team had won our first softball game. The team celebrated and everyone had smiles on their face except for me, when I got home. I walk in the door with my mom and dad. I was sort of quizzical because my parents are divorced. But then, my dad informs me that we have had a death in the family. I had a feeling it was grandpa but I didn’t know. Sadly, I was right. My grandfather passed away from a Cornea or a severe heart attack on May 3rd, 2008 which is the day before my birthday. I just sat there and cried in my dad’s arms and listened to him telling me that everything will be okay and that my grandpa is in a better place.

My aunt, uncle and my mom came over and we just talked and tried to forget about it, but it didn’t work that way. There were more tears. I tried and tried to think about my grandpa not being in pain anymore, not having to use a cane, and not having to stick needles in his body to test his blood sugar for diabetes. Everything is better for him now that he’s in heaven.
Since the day of my Grandfather’s death, things have been going better. I have been feeling more like myself and not sad. I have been visiting my grandma a lot since she moved here from Florida and she is doing very well. We have gone out to dinner a lot with family and just spent a lot of quality time together.
Things don’t always work out the way they should. So, I was sitting in the living room and I automatically start crying when my grandmother tells me I have to open my birthday present from my grandpa. I open a little red box and inside is a gold chain necklace with a gold heart. Attached to the heart is circular emerald and chipped diamonds along the side. Now, I always will make sure I say I love you to the ones I love because one day, the ones who have left aren’t coming back.

yourawesome said...
wow really great story!!