Make Peace with Your Imperfection. Yeah Whatever! | Teen Ink

Make Peace with Your Imperfection. Yeah Whatever!

Make Your Peace With Imperfection. Yeah Whatever!

“Make Your Peace With Imperfection”. That was the title of my newest gift from my mother. A self help book that explained how, basically, I was trying too hard. I was trying too hard to make everything in my life perfect. And I’ll be the first to admit everything in my life is, to a degree absolutely perfect. I can’t help it though, it is a need to be tidy and neat and clean and, I suppose, deep down, a need to be liked. I want to be liked for being the neat person, the tidy person, the clean, always looking a million dollars person. I want to be the style queen, everyone’s friend; I want to be the popular girl. But, instead, I am the person with the obsessive tendencies. I sit at the weirdo table at lunch. I’m the person with the too-perfect, too-neat life.

But I’m going to make a stand. I am going to stop conforming. I am going to go wild. I will lick windows of buses and I will biro on freshly painted walls. I will let the mould grow in mugs and I will drop crisp crumbs on the settee. I will paint my nails day-glo green and I will skive off of school. I will jump in puddles and I will let all of my calls go to voicemail. I will party ‘til dawn and I will scream at the top of my lungs. I will cry when I feel like crying and I will laugh when it’s not ‘cool’ to smile. I will stay up late and I will eat leftovers for breakfast. I will not eat vegetables and I will ‘forget’ to do my homework. I will be the wild and carefree party animal that I have always wanted to be.

But when I am done being a changed person I think I’ll conform again. I will act my age and I will live my life according to the rules. I will take off my day-glo nail-polish, I will do my homework when it is due and I will vacuum the crumbs off of the settee. I will go back to my too- perfect, too-neat life. I will be me again.