I'm Thinking... Arby's | Teen Ink

I'm Thinking... Arby's

How many times have you seen the “I’m Thinking Arby’s” commercials? Well, I saw my first one when I was about six years old. I remember it like it happened yesterday. I was zoned into the new episode of Pokemon. Who wouldn’t be though really? It was the newest episode where Ash captured three new Pokemon, what a stud! Anyways, so about fifteen minutes into the show they went to a commercial. The second commercial was the patented “Oven Mitt” doing what he does best- making people laugh. I can’t even recall what he said that made a 6 year old laugh like he just found out if you put enough toilet paper in the toilet, it flows over. Or if you pick your nose and fling it at girls they scream like they just saw a monster. Ten years ago watching Pokemon I learned a life lesson that will stick with me forever. The best things in life, no matter how simple, are worth waiting for.
I laughed for hours and hours and then it was getting about to dinnertime. I asked my mom if “We could go to Arby’s for dinner because I wanted to try something called an “Arby’s Melt”. She said no. I was devastated. Did this woman who claimed to be my mother really want to deprive me of this sexy looking Oven Mitt food? I can still remember going to my room that night and staying up till about 10 waiting to see another one of those commercials. The next day at school all I had was Arby’s on my mind. I think I told everyone at Kindergarten that day about this awesome restaurant I had seen on TV. At recess that day I tried eating some dirt. It just didn’t taste the same, as I knew the melt would. Although, that was my first dirt eating experience so the dirt was also a taste that was one of a kind. Dirt, dust, sticks, and acorns are definitely one of a kind. At naptime I went right to bed so I could dream about this extraordinary sandwich that I was craving.
After a few more days I was losing my mind. The commercial kept playing during my Pokemon show. It got to the point where I wouldn’t watch Pokemon for Pokemon; I would watch it to see the Oven Mitt! About a week later my mom picked me up from school and said, “Your sister has a game in Rochester. If you hurry up and get any homework done we’ll stop early and go to Arby’s”. Man I have never to this day done homework so fast. I blew through my addition facts and I buzzed through my spelling. I was a child on a mission. Little did I know this mission would later gain me the name the” Melt-eating Monster”. When we got there I ran inside. There was a line so I would have to wait to get my food. Now remember I was six years old. I had no patience what so ever. I was trying to do whatever it took to get to the front of the line. I caught myself trying to blow this lady up with my mind once. I was bouncing around and I couldn’t stop and look forward because I feared I would miss this giant Mitt walking, waddling or doing whatever Mitts do around a restaurant. Even though I could not pay attention I will always remember that smell. The smell of curly fries being deep fat fried. Today it is still my favorite smell.
When I finally got to the front of the line a nice lady was there to ask me what I wanted. “Hello, and welcome to Arbys. May I take your order?” she asked me. “Umm, Hi…well umm…” I mumbled back. I knew what I wanted but I just couldn’t spit it out I couldn’t stop thinking about how this lady was now a goddess in my life. She was the jelly to my peanut butter. She was bigger than Spiderman. She was the Arby’s cashier and she was now my best friend. I was searching for something catchy, yet simple; something tasty, but delicious. When I finally quit drooling and realized there was about 10 people behind I ordered. “Ya can I have a number two meal please, with a coke to drink” I said proudly acting as if I had just picked the new winning lottery numbers. “Well, sure you can” she said with a smile, acting like this innocent young six year old charm had just made her day. It seemed like it took at least 10 hours to get my melt from them, I kept asking “Mom, I can’t wait anymore; I’m so hungry for this”. “Tyler, just be patient. You’ve waited a few weeks, another couple minutes won’t hurt”. When I got it I ran to sit down and dug into my first Arbys melt. I ran as fast as a human had ever run before. “Wow, mom, this is amazing!” I boasted. It was the best tasting thing I have ever put into my mouth. It tastes better than everything my mom can make put together.
I will always remember the first time I ate at Arby’s because it changed my life. Waiting to get Arby’s taught me a life lesson that I will never forget. Sometimes, the best things in life are worth waiting for. Even an Arbys Melt.