Outgrowing Harry | Teen Ink

Outgrowing Harry MAG

By clairebeatxo BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
clairebeatxo BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

Looking through my colossal bookshelf, overstuffed with Jane Austens and Jodi Picoults, my fingers graze the edge of a well-worn cover. Tracing the familiar creases, I lovingly draw the book out of its niche. It slides out easily, as if it is eager to be held. Though the sleeve is long lost, I can recognize the book by its distinctive weight, familiar as a good friend. The hardback is battered, with little watermarks from carrying it in the rain, and it bears the unmistakable softness of a book that has never been lonely. Slowly, so as not to strain the delicate binding, I turn to a page near the middle. The scent of old paper, a soft aroma, wafts out.

I am six again, cradling the new book in my lap as I meet Harry Potter for the first time and together we explore his world. Bright sunlight, filtered by the tree I am leaning against, illuminates the page like light through green stained glass. The world is blooming with vibrant greens and pinks and blues, but all I see is Harry.

I am eight again, reading the book for a second time. I hide it in my lap as my teacher defaces the white board with numbers like a foreign language, but all I see is Harry, still discovering magic for the first time, his life standing still while mine wouldn’t for a moment.

I look up from my book to see not a blooming garden or glaring teacher, but a sturdy bookshelf packed too tightly. I close the book and touch the cover one last time before placing it in my closet, where books go when they are done, the magic read out of them. In its place, I put Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the final installment of the series I started when I was six.

As I scrutinize the new addition to my bookshelf, I realize that I have just placed my childhood in my closet. Something to remember but not relive, tucked away for safekeeping.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I'm getting chills, and I'm sure they're not from the cold. Amazing :)

topazgirl said...
Oh my gosh...If eel the same way. That even though Deathly Hallows is on my shelf, the doors are closed, for me anyways, for Harry Potter, shutting off a whole lifetime of childhood. This made me see that its not gone, its just around the corner, for me to remember.

this piece makes me cry everytime i read it. in my case, ill never outgrow harry :p i keep rereading the books....it has been years and years and years yet harry is still as special as he was ... so long ago...! harry potter rocks...and ure article is really touchin..! keep it up...keep writing about HARRY!! <3 :'(

it's a really nice article! i liked the way u wrote it =)