And the People Were Happy | Teen Ink

And the People Were Happy

November 6, 2007
By yourlonelylover PLATINUM, Harrington Park, New Jersey
yourlonelylover PLATINUM, Harrington Park, New Jersey
26 articles 1 photo 3 comments

And The People Will Be Happy

Long ago, my religion teacher tells me, there was a terrible plague in an ancient land. The earth was cursed, the men and women and children were sick, and the sky was black. During the night, every eldest son of every family was struck dead.

And the people were happy.

Later, a great man came to teach humanity. He told his word to all, and some heard it. He loved all, and some loved him. No one was spared forgiveness in his presence, if they would only give theirs. Those who did not love him decided he was evil. He gave them a chance for eternal life and they gave him a brutal public murder.

And the people were happy.

Much, much later, my history teacher says, a vile, insane man came to the earth. He taught as well, but his teachings were not pure. He taught that one section of mankind was superior to all the rest, and everyone else should be destroyed. With a will of iron and an invisible heart, he killed millions of innocents using his supporters’ help.

And the people were happy.

In Health class, I learned that we are the fattest nation in the world. Fast food, candy, soda, fried things, grease, and fat fat fat know no bounds. Exercise? When do we have time to exercise, with our crazy packed schedules? Diabetes and weak knees, gastric surgery and anorexia, strict exercise regimes and diet pills: they all result from the trashy glop we shove down our throats.

And the people are happy.

While studying Current Events, I was made aware of the terrible suffering in the world today. Evil men sit in places much too high for their corrupt souls. War has swept through the lands, choking the mild hearts that are so rare nowadays. Justice has lost her pride, Law has been stripped of her dignity, and Integrity is lying naked on the floor, curled in a small ball. Death is everywhere, and many turn a blind eye.

And the people are happy.

Many years from now, when I am older and wiser, I will see the world around me. I will hear the screams and the cries as equality and lawfulness die, and hear the trumpets as they are raised. Maybe I’ll realize the souls of men, and think I know everything. Maybe I will know that I can’t know it all, but understand that there are good and bad sides to everyone. Maybe. And as the diamonds rain from the sky and wails can be heard from every continent, mourning the pains of the heart, I will finally understand.

And the people will be happy.