What Life is to Me | Teen Ink

What Life is to Me

By life_of_a_leaf PLATINUM, Morris Plains, New Jersey
life_of_a_leaf PLATINUM, Morris Plains, New Jersey

"We're all just kids who grew up way too fast" - The Cab

What makes your life different from other people? If you can’t answer that question, then you don’t know what life really is. Life is what you do everyday and what you like and don’t like to do. It is simply who you are, what you are, and why you are who you are. Everything you do impacts on your life, so that’s why you get to choose what you want to do.

There are so many things to do in life, but only some are interesting to me. One thing I like most is art which includes music and drawing. I love to draw because it lets me freely express my feelings and thoughts. I can use vivid markers, soft pastels, or even soothing water colors. My favorite medium to use is the pencil. With a pencil you can do so much. You can create a new world, design a new T-shirt, or draw whatever you can imagine, just to list a few. Also, when I’m feeling down or just plain bored, I can pick up a pencil and create something new and unique. Music has to do with art, too. It’s all about creativity, passion, and expressing your feelings. When I play the piano I can feel the hard, cold keys with my fingers and hear the hard, cold keys with my fingers and hear the crisp and clear sound of the music I am playing.

Other things I enjoy doing in my free time are riding my bike on long, winding paths and observing my two parakeets, a type of bird. Bicycling is one of the sports I like to do. It’s my favorite because when you’re riding, you can feel the strong wind blowing at your face, you can hear different sounds running through your ears, and you can smell the wonderful scent of nature. Parakeets are a part of nature, too. I love to watch them because it’s amazing how they react to things, such as new toys or sounds.
Even though I love my life so much, there are still things I dislike. Something I really don’t like is too much work. When there are too many things to do and not enough time to just relax and chill out, I can get really unhappy. I think more than I talk, so sometimes I just need some time to myself. Then, I can think about my problems or my joyful thoughts. Leisure time is really important to me because I like lots of freedom, just like how I can draw anything I want, when I want.
These likes and dislikes of my life are the things that make my life different from yours. Everyone has their own definition of life but life itself, in one way or another, has to do with everyone and the entire world. In other words, it’s your existence on this world, your hobbies, and your interests. To me life is who we are, what we are, and why we are who we are. So, what is your definition of life?