Losing Roots | Teen Ink

Losing Roots

July 5, 2024
By vbokaria SILVER, Scarsdale, New York
vbokaria SILVER, Scarsdale, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The line between cultural appreciation and appropriation is a fine one. Cultural appropriation is defined by Oxford Dictionary as the “unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.” Many of the practices of the whitewashed wellness industry are borrowed from other cultures and religions. Arguably, the origins of these practices are hardly ever acknowledged, and rather, new meaning and significance is attached to them.

Recently yet tangibly, America has appropriated Indian culture, where certain aspects of it have been simplified, adapted, or misrepresented to fit Western preferences and narratives. America has reduced certain cultural elements to pure exoticism, such as festivals, yoga, and cuisine. It’s like watching your favorite movie in a different language; you can still recognize it, but ultimately, something feels off.   

Indian holidays like Diwali (The Festival of Lights) and Holi (The Festival of Colors) are appropriated and commercialized constantly. In recent years, Diwali has gained popularity in the United States, with cities hosting public events and businesses capitalizing on the festival's imagery for advertisement. They might also incorporate elements of traditional Indian attire, music, or cuisine into their marketing strategies. In this process, the true significance of Diwali as a deeply spiritual and cultural event (where Lord Rama triumphed over evil Ravana) often gets overshadowed by superficial displays of fireworks and decorative lights. 

Likewise, Holi’s religious aspects have often been disregarded by the West, as it has been adapted as a social celebration rather than a cultural one. There is indubitably cultural appropriation at work in a large part of the American celebration of Holi-related events, such as the Color Run. There is a difference between a festival set up at a university by a group of students who culturally identify with the roots of that festival and a largely corporate-sponsored, for-profit event like the Color Run, which is presented as a purely recreational and commercial activity. As Westernized versions of Holi gain popularity, there is a risk that the original values may be overshadowed or forgotten, such as the burning of Holika or the divine love of Radha and Krishna.

Similarly, the misrepresentation of cultural practices, particularly yoga, also makes light of the historical oppression that colonizers placed on the Indigenous Hindu people of India. Yoga originated in ancient India over 5,000 years ago, encompassing a wide range of spiritual, physical, and mental practices aimed at achieving harmony and enlightenment. Traditional yoga involves more than just physical postures (asanas); it includes breathing exercises (pranayama), meditation (dhyana), ethical principles (yamas and niyamas), and various paths to spiritual growth (like Bhakti, Jnana, and Karma yoga). 

While yoga is now a mainstream fitness platform, it has been aestheticized by white influencers such as Gwenyth Paltrow and Adriene Mishler, both of which claimed to popularize it. Historically, the practice of yoga and Ayurveda were legally and de facto banned in India under British rule. For a while, Hindus were not allowed to practice yoga, and now that same practice has been appropriated and exploited for profits. The same applies to the use of Ayurvedic remedies as the latest fad without acknowledging the history and origins of Ayurveda. Thus, most of the western spirituality on social media such as the “manifesting” TikTok trend is just whitewashed Hinduism. With yoga studios abound in every corner of American cities, the spiritual teachings of yoga are often neglected in favor of marketing physical exercise and trendy workout routines.

Cuisine is another area where the whitewashing of Indian culture is evident. While Indian food has gained popularity worldwide, it is often simplified and adapted to suit Western palates, leading to the proliferation of reductive dishes like "butter chicken" and "naan bread.” The diversity and complexity of Indian cuisine have now been reduced to a few dishes, erasing the regional variations and culinary traditions that make Indian food so rich. 

Chicken tikka masala, a dish widely embraced as Indian in the West, actually originated in Britain as a fusion of Indian flavors with British tastes. However, it was created as an adaptation of Indian flavors and cooking techniques to cater to English palates. In British curry houses, chicken tikha masala tends to be much creamier and sweeter than authentic Indian curries.. This adaptation reflects a fusion of Indian and British culinary preferences rather than a representation of any single Indian regional cuisine. Additionally, The addition of a thick  tomato-based sauce (the "masala" part) is more characteristic of British adaptations rather than traditional Indian cooking styles. Similarly, chai lattes, popularized as a comforting drink in Western cafes or Starbucks, bear little resemblance to authentic Indian masala chai, which is brewed with a complex blend of spices (cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds) and served differently in its country of origin. Unlike the frothy, milk-dominated chai lattes of the West, traditional masala chai focuses more on the balance of spices and tea, creating flavors that vary from sweet and spicy to rich and aromatic. The global popularity of these simplified versions contributes to a homogenized perception of Indian cuisine, overshadowing its diverse regional variations and authentic culinary practices.

The whitewashing and Americanization of traditional Indian culture reflect a broader trend of cultural homogenization in an increasingly globalized world. As American society becomes more diverse, there is a growing “white appetite” for multicultural experiences, material objects and exotic aesthetics to be posted on mainstream platforms like Instagram or Tiktok. So, rather than reducing Indian traditions to mere commodities, we should strive to understand their cultural significance. This might involve delving deeper into the meanings behind festivals like Diwali, exploring the philosophical foundations of yoga, or seeking out an authentic Indian cuisine that celebrates the diversity of regional flavors such as masala dosa, biryani, or pav bhaji.

 In the face of Western consumption, by embracing the diversity of authentic Indian culture, we can cultivate a more nuanced appreciation for world traditions and foster genuine connections across not merely boundaries, but also borders. We should strive to understand other world cultures so that we may better understand our neighbors, many of whom were shaped by their upbringing in foreign countries. If society relies so heavily on us communicating and cooperating with each other, then there's no reason not to make that effort!


The author's comments:

This article discusses how Western societies sometimes take elements from other cultures without fully understanding or respecting their origins. This can happen with holidays like Diwali and Holi from India, where their spiritual meanings are overlooked in favor of superficial celebrations like fireworks or color runs. Similarly, practices like yoga and Indian cuisine are often simplified or commercialized, losing their deeper cultural and historical significance. It suggests that instead of just appropriating these aspects of other cultures, we should strive to appreciate and understand them better.