The rise of EV’s in the Indian automobile market | Teen Ink

The rise of EV’s in the Indian automobile market

By inkspire BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
inkspire BRONZE, Mumbai, Other

The automotive sector of India accounts for about 7.1% of the country’s GDP and provides significant employment. Our country is the 3rd largest in terms of the global market with correspondence to sales. Recently EVs (electric vehicles) have gained significant recognition as a cleaner and more efficient alternative to conventional gasoline-powered cars. 

India's domestic EV market shall witness a 49% annual growth between 2023-2030 according to The Economic Survey. Additionally, this sector will create up to 50 million direct and indirect jobs in the next decade.  In the past year, EV sales accounted for a total of 5% of all auto sales, with these numbers India can manage to sell a whopping 16 million cars every year by 2030. While these predictions seem enticing and promising these goals will only be reached if the government and private companies join hands to install 4 lakh+ chargers annually.

Companies like BMW and Volvo have captured the luxury EV market and interestingly Tesla has promised an EV worth 20 lakh to enter the market soon. More economic options are offered by companies like TATA, Mahindra and Hyundai; their cars range from 12-18 lakhs. The future of the automotive sector in India looks promising with the increasing adoption of EVs, both as a means to reduce pollution and as a method for generating major employment opportunities. With the right support and development, India is very much capable of acting as a leader in the global electric vehicle market.

EVs or electric vehicles are the current buzz. This article provides a sneak peak about EVs in the Indian automobile market.