Munchausen Syndrome | Teen Ink

Munchausen Syndrome

By joanacoboz BRONZE, Tirana, Other
joanacoboz BRONZE, Tirana, Other

"You kill one man you are a murderer, you kill them all and you are a god" - Big Mouth

Munchausen Syndrome is a syndrome that puts the victim at a high risk of self-harm, drug abuse, and causes the victim to exaggerate health history and refuse healthcare when needed. This syndrome is classified as a personality disorder rather than a mental disorder. Munchausen can be the result of one lying to themselves or an outside influence lying to them about their health. This syndrome is said to have no cure or prevention which is why it is considered dangerous. Although there is no cure, there is preventative medicine and healthcare for this disorder.  
Some side effects are refusal of healthcare when needed, desire to be ill, demanding of a diagnosis even if proven to not be mentally ill, and inconsistency with health details. Munchausen can be split into two types which are categorized by influences, Munchausen with Proxy which is caused by an outside influence, and Munchausen without Proxy (aka Munchausen Syndrome). A good example of a Munchausen victim was Gypsy Rose. Experts have said that she showed symptoms of Munchausen Syndrome with Proxy since her mother was the abuser. Gypsy Rose grew up thinking that she had all sorts of mental illnesses and was convinced by her mother that she had memory loss. Her mother went as far as to remove Gypsy’s salivary glands and put her in a wheelchair so people could feel empathy for both Gypsy and her mother. Gypsy was prescribed several anti-epilepsy and seizure drugs which caused her teeth to fall out. After Gypsy’s arrest in 2016, her mother’s lies started to be recognized by the public and Gypsy Rose herself.   
Dr. Mark Feldman states that people who have Munchausen no matter with or without proxy, are likely to be stuck in a cycle of relapsing in activities such as drug abuse and self-harm. These sorts of people are often willing to go through painful procedures to prove themselves ill and have great knowledge of disorders and medicine in general. People with this diagnosis are prone to show aggressive behavior if they are confronted about their behavior or accused of lying.   
As most mental illnesses are personality disorders, Munchausen is more prominent in men that are 20-40 years old. About twice as many men as women are affected by this disease (Ron M. Walls) and this ratio is affected by biological factors that make men more prone to personality disorders. This disease is often left undiagnosed since it takes on the traits of other mental illnesses and it takes great medical knowledge to spot symptoms. It is reported that 10 people out of every one million suffer from this illness based on the reported cases.  
To conclude, Munchausen Syndrome is a personality disorder that makes the victim think that they are mentally and physically ill when they are not. Being diagnosed with this disorder is a very devastating thing that happens, and doctors often try to avoid diagnosing someone with Munchausen Syndrome as it is a very dangerous disorder. In my opinion, cases like these should not be dismissed and should be investigated, no matter how dangerous the disorder is.