IMSA Essay | Teen Ink

IMSA Essay

April 2, 2023
By Azriella SILVER, Quincy, Illinois
Azriella SILVER, Quincy, Illinois
9 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be destroyed" -Jace Lightwood

"Heroes aren't the ones who always win. They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That's what makes them heroes." - Clary Fray

"Let us find the Dam snack bar. We should eat while we can." - Zoe Nightshade

"I said hello to the poodle." - Percy Jackson


Since gaining knowledge of the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) it has fascinated me. Upon learning about this amazing opportunity my plans for the future changed. I had already planned the classes for all four years of high school but the opportunity to attend IMSA would be far more suitable for me and would bring far better learning experiences. I was beginning to normalize my plans for the future in comparison to that of my peers at my local high school. My personal goals have always been very difficult to fit my personality and strive for my best. At IMSA I would be around like minded people who want to achieve the most they possibly can. The hands-on approach at IMSA would give me the opportunity to test my skills. The advanced classes would be stimulating and make me think through things instead of quickly going through assignments.

While attending IMSA I would contribute my unique knowledge and experiences. My life has been very different from the average person my age. With an unique perspective on life I can offer previously unthought of points. My view on life is one that no child should ever have. My survival has depended on it. An immature, abusive, and neglectful mother forced me to grow up and mature early for the sake of me and my siblings. While I am completely confident that the staff and faculty at IMSA is aware of the less fortunate ways of life, the perspective on it is much more personal if you have experienced it. 

I would love to see things from the perspectives of others who have different experiences than mine. The experiences of others can pass on valuable information and lessons to me just as I hope others can learn from my experiences. The different worldviews of my teachers and peers would give a chance for a train of thought that would have not come to me on my own. As I learn from others and they learn from me, we can get closer and have stronger bonds. I could also give ideas and hopefully influence IMSA for years to come.

Today if I was asked what I wanted to be after college I would have one of two answers; a child advocacy lawyer or a social worker. I am very open to whatever the future holds for me. I would love to give back to a school that while I am still an applicant has given me so much hope for my future.


The author's comments:

I wrote this as part of my application to IMSA. Judging based on this essay can I have a little insight as to my chances of getting in?