Let it Rain | Teen Ink

Let it Rain

May 26, 2009
By jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah
jennee21_ann GOLD, Helper, Utah
17 articles 0 photos 568 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul....wisdom is better than silver or gold."

"You can always close a book, but you can never close the mind of a writer."


I sat there the last day of school and watched the sky catch fire. I stayed curled up in a ball as the wind whipped my long hair around my face. I imagined gathering up all the memories in my mind and throwing them into the sky, laughing with delight as I watched them burn. But no such thing was happening as I sat there and said goodbye to my 8th grade year. The memories were only flowing down my cheeks in the form of small, silver tears.

I remember one year ago, the exact same day. I was swinging on the tire swing diagonal from me. I was listening to the moans of the river and the whispers of the wind. I remembered laughing with my heart as my eyes sparkled with the anticipation of summer. But this year, no such thing would happen. The wind only whispered the things I was longing to forget. And the moans of the river were only the cries of helplessness.

As the fire was doused in the sky and the dark blue night began to creep upon me, I could hear the chirping of crickets in the background. The river seemed to calm itself as it prepared for the night. The wind only whistled through the trees now. It seemed as if they were finally satisfied that they had broken me. It was as if they were proud of what they had done. But what had they done? Made me relive my memories…make my nightmares come to life? No, no. They had only made me remember what I wished would disappear.

I pulled my knees closer to my body and rested my head on my knees. A déjà vu floated into my mind. Hadn't I spent the last 180 days in this position as I curled up by my locker on the 2nd story hall? At that moment, the wind kicked up and rustled the leaves and the thick grasses. It echoed through the fields like laughter. The river gurgled quietly, just like whispers. The laughter, the whispers, and the fallen position…the story of my 8th grade year.

I looked up into the dark night sky and watched the stars appear. Some of them twinkled back and forth, as if a conversation was going on in the heavens. The falling stars were the ballerinas of the skies. All was peaceful and calm in the skies. Quiet. There was no wind or worry up there. It was almost as if everything wasn't really there. Maybe they're physical selves were in the sky….but was their mind "in the clouds", or on the ground?

The memories of that year came back in flashes. One certain thing could make me relive the darkest moments of that year. The quack of a duck reminded me of the squeaky shoes in the halls. A rusty swing swaying in the wind represented a ticking of a clock. And yet, I could find some noises that resembled happy moments. A horse's neigh was like the final bell. The sprinklers spraying the night were like the beat-boxers in my home room.

So for many, many hours, I stayed there and listened to the sounds of the night and remembered everything from that year. From the moment of my closing locker, to the yell of "Time Out" everything from that year poured out into the darkness and peacefulness of the night.

When the night grew old, and the sounds became still, everything from that year was lying on the dirt beneath me. Every bad memory was beneath my feet. Oh how I would have loved to stamp my feet on them and smothered them into the dirt. But would they have just crawled up my legs and found themselves into my mind again? I would have loved to pick them up and carry them to drown the memories in the river, but would they have floated to the top again? Not knowing what to do with them, I sat and waited.

The bright orange was peeking over the bowl and beginning to light the world. But somewhere in the far off distance, the rumbling of thunder could be heard. As if millions of horses were stomping closer to me, the storm moved in closer. It was almost near the end.

As I curled myself under the tree and left the memories beneath me, the heavens opened up. The rain came down in heavy, cold pellets and washed the Earth clean. As the rain came down and splashed, it carried all my memories away. As they slowly ran down the hillside and collected in a puddle, everything was washed away.

The only left to do…was to wash away myself. I ran out into the rain, hands out and head up to the sky. I let the stinging bullets pierce my skin. I let the rain soak my hair and drench my dress. I let my converse shoes fill with mud and I let my skin turn to ice. Because when it was done, I was a new person. The rain had washed the old me away, the clouds lifted, and I finally found myself again.

The author's comments:
This story is based on my 8th grade experience, and how I got rid of all the bad memories of that year.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 52 comments.


on Jan. 1 2011 at 12:16 am
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
34 articles 2 photos 658 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Your style of writing, at least in this peice, makes the whole thing seem like a dream, even though it's not. I like it!

on Aug. 9 2010 at 12:32 pm
JosieNotJose SILVER, West Palm Beach, Florida
9 articles 0 photos 17 comments

I thought it fitting to comment on something rain-related. ;)

This (and all of your other work) is fantastic.  The descriptions have really inspired me.  Keep up the great work! 


on May. 19 2010 at 11:29 am
invisible13 GOLD, Gobles, Michigan
14 articles 0 photos 56 comments

Favorite Quote:
there is nothing so common as the wish to be remarkable

wow this is amazing. it's so sad but also very empowering, i guess, to know i'm not the only one to feel that way. great imagery, and detail. i luvvvv it. 

on May. 14 2010 at 2:49 pm
Chibbie1 PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia
38 articles 8 photos 181 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reach for the the moon for if you fail you land amongst the stars :)

this is totally awsome i just love it

 


on May. 11 2010 at 3:28 pm
AlexandraVasari PLATINUM, Fort Stewart, Georgia
28 articles 4 photos 174 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Writing songs is super intimate. It's a bit like getting naked"~ Gwen Stefani

This is a remarkable story, I love the imagery you used and it made my heart kind of pang a little bit. Beautiful!:)

on Apr. 14 2010 at 8:28 pm
Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
20 articles 8 photos 173 comments
I love this so much, and thank you for the comment on my poem! I agree with siany; middle school is the worst. I like your use of personification, especially in the first and second paragraphs. I also like how "the fire was doused in the sky." Excellent work!

on Apr. 12 2010 at 9:27 pm
redsoxandsunshine SILVER, Hamilton, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I did the same thing after 7th grade (But I still can't write about that year). Middle School is the worst... Beautiful.

HPGGMRAR GOLD said...
on Mar. 28 2010 at 6:50 pm
HPGGMRAR GOLD, Kennesaw, Georgia
14 articles 6 photos 91 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I musn't forget I'm alive."
Ray Bradbury (Dandelion Wine)

Wow. I can relate. The end of my 8th grade year felt like that too.

Your style is so beautiful! I love to read your writing!

Could you check out some of my work?


on Mar. 19 2010 at 10:43 am
Lucy4himnotu ELITE, Richardson, Texas
148 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am Happy to The Point of Fear" -Ralph Waldo Emmerson

This was so beautifully written. The way you use your words is so captivating. You have this ort of.. serenity? in your tone during this peace. I was inspiring. BEAUTIFULLY done

LiveItUp GOLD said...
on Feb. 24 2010 at 2:47 pm
LiveItUp GOLD, Congers, New York
13 articles 0 photos 10 comments
wow awesome! i love the first line of the last paragraph.

great job. :)

on Jan. 23 2010 at 4:29 pm
VampiericRain GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
12 articles 0 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
Would you like a side of epic with that fail?

Holy crap ! This is an amazing piece of work! I love how you put all of those similies in there. Its an amazing piece.

on Jan. 23 2010 at 4:24 pm
VampiericRain GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
12 articles 0 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
Would you like a side of epic with that fail?

Holy crap ! This is amazing beyond words! I love the way you wrote with the similies and all the other stuff. It is amazing!

Torrzilla GOLD said...
on Dec. 25 2009 at 6:55 pm
Torrzilla GOLD, Ames, Iowa
18 articles 17 photos 49 comments
Oh my ^_^ So good. I totally understand. Really nice. (thanks for commenting mine btws)

on Nov. 29 2009 at 6:52 pm
supergrrrl_4808 SILVER, Farrell, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war,Let it begin Here.

god this is friggin awesome!!!

i totally love it=)

on Nov. 7 2009 at 11:14 pm
NinaFarryn SILVER, Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
5 articles 28 photos 24 comments
This feels like me at the moment. I'm trying to re-invent myself for my first year of high school.....I'm ot sure that's what i'm doing...maybe I'm just looking deeper to find who I am. I love the personification you used in your article, it gives it good imagery. Fantastic piece

on Oct. 21 2009 at 3:11 pm
Ashlie94 BRONZE, Peru, Kansas
4 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't give up and don't give in.. cause the info you give out,you can't take back in.

Wow! What more to say.. I love this. It sounds like my freshman year lol. My freshman year wasnt fun... At all. I wanted so much to be someone else.. but this year im trying to change who i used to be trying to change the rumors.. trying to change the lies.. my grades.. everything that went wrong last year.. and of course picking better friends lol.

Well once again i think your an exceptional writer, and maybe you've had a lot in your past that you want to let go of. Just dont let go of everything. Remember writings a way to keep the memories good or bad while still letting them go.

cheyb88 SILVER said...
on Oct. 4 2009 at 9:57 am
cheyb88 SILVER, Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 articles 54 photos 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
The lunatic, the lover, the poet, are of imagination of all compact. -William Shakespeare

So don't worry, because I am with you. Don't be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you. I will support you with my right hand that saves you.
Isaiah 41:10

"Expectation is the root of all headaches"- William Shakespeare

"Here take my Elmo" -Chloe'

“If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be.”

This is fantastic i love details in literary work. I like to believe when im reading someone's work that im there and you put me right there in your situtations. The writer lets the reader see only what they want them to see or know and you have a great way of putting your reader there. Way to go goldstar!

Fangz PLATINUM said...
on Sep. 9 2009 at 1:08 pm
Fangz PLATINUM, Ware, Massachusetts
37 articles 15 photos 107 comments

Favorite Quote:
In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus caritas.

My God, thats creepy. I did the exact same thing when I was younger and coouldn't believe accept the terrible things that had happened to me. I sat outside for the longest time trying to negate it, and finally decided that the rain would wash it way for me. my skin was soaked through and my body temperature had dropped a few degrees, but it seemed like that penetration was required for the cleansing I was looking for.

Braidy BRONZE said...
on Aug. 27 2009 at 2:28 am
Braidy BRONZE, Helper, Utah
1 article 0 photos 7 comments
wow this is really amazing :) you describe everything so realisticly, its very good, you are such a talented writer!



everybody is honored a great writer like you commented your work but im honored i am your friend :) haha,

on Aug. 25 2009 at 10:29 pm
Bookwormwriter SILVER, Centerville, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 16 comments
Wow, that was amazing! I loved the detail! i can so relate, i just finished 8th grade, I did the exact same thing! well, almost. I didn't write this amazing story thingy. I love it! Keep writing