Time for Change | Teen Ink

Time for Change

August 3, 2022
By AmanuaelY SILVER, Fairfax, Virginia
AmanuaelY SILVER, Fairfax, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Two months ago, there was a school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, at Robb Elementary School. 21 innocent victims died. 19 students and 2 teachers.


When I first heard the news, I felt saddened about the tragedy, but it was not surprising. The American people have witnessed this situation multiple times before.


We know how it starts and ends. If no major change transpires we will witness it a thousand times more.


The public was concerned about this story and saddened by the tragedy; however, as time passed, people moved on.


But each victim had a story to tell. We lost future doctors, policemen, entrepreneurs, and more.


​​The saddest part of this story is that many of these children’s lives could have been saved if the police had acted quicker.


The police outnumbered the shooter but were still scared to confront him, retreating when he started firing at them.


After the fact, many of the police said they didn’t know what to do because of a lack of leadership. 


But a lack of leadership doesn’t justify not attempting to save the lives of innocent children.


If the police’s job is to protect American citizens, but they are scared to protect children from the threat of a school shooting, then what hope do children have in feeling safe at school?


School’s should foster an atmosphere of learning, growth, and enjoyment for students, but it has turned into a place of fear and dismay. 


Parents are in fear whenever they drop their child off at the bus stop, praying that they return home safe and sound.


Students are also scared at school because they don’t know when a school shooting could occur in their place of learning.


Xander Snowden, grade 11, says, “The recent Uvalde shooting has made me feel like I need to wear a bulletproof vest when I go back to school.” 


Patrick Mcevoy, grade 9, says, “I have been more concerned about going to school, especially since I attend a large public high school in one of the biggest school districts in the country.”


As a student, I often feel scared at school due to the potential threat of a shooting.


For example, a couple of days ago in class, someone was aggressively trying to open the classroom door. My first thought was school shooting. 


As Americans, we should not be comfortable living in a society where students don’t feel safe attending school.