Spreading Breast Cancer Awareness: How to Know Your Risk Before It Is Too Late | Teen Ink

Spreading Breast Cancer Awareness: How to Know Your Risk Before It Is Too Late

By catherinecheng BRONZE, Albany, New York
catherinecheng BRONZE, Albany, New York

Why Is Breast Cancer So Important?

Within the United States, breast cancer is the second deadliest cancer in older women (those over 40 years of age), who are the most susceptible age group (Breastcancer.org, 2022). Around 3.8 million women in the United States alone have a history of breast cancer. Furthermore, breast cancer is generally more deadly among the minority populations in America, such as Black and Jewish women (Breastcancer.org, 2022). There are far fewer men who develop breast cancer due to low levels of the hormone estrogen produced by males, but it is still possible for men to develop breast cancer later in life (Breastcancer.org, 2022). Estrogen is responsible for the development of female sex traits and features during puberty, such as the growth of breasts and menses/menarche or the onset of menstruation (Nichols, 2020). Also, a less commonly known gene called the BRCA1/BRCA2 gene has links to increased risks of developing breast cancer, and even ovarian cancer, in a woman’s lifetime (Breastcancer.org, 2022).  Therefore, it is crucial for women to constantly test for the symptoms of breast cancer, such as irregular period cycles and changes in the physical appearance of the breasts (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC Breast Cancer], 2022). Doing so will continue the current trend of decreasing major breast cancer cases, as early screening can detect tumors or irregular bumps in the breasts and lead to a diagnosis and treatment plan. As a result, women who are informed about their breast/ovarian cancer risk and “windows of susceptibility” will be able to take immediate actions to either lower their risk or treat the early stages of symptoms.

Cause of Breast Cancer

In breast cancer, there is an important factor to understanding your risks that experts call the “window of susceptibility” (Newkirk, 2017). There are many factors that help narrow your specific WS. The mutated BRCA gene plays a major role in increased breast cancer, but so does exposure to certain chemicals, age, and lifestyle. For example, a study done by the American Association of Cancer Research showed that dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT), which was a popular pesticide during the 1940s and 1950s in the United States, actually raised a woman’s risk for breast cancer. Those who were pregnant and were exposed to DDT had a statistically higher risk of developing breast cancer later in life. Furthermore, young girls below the age of 14, before the onset of puberty, who were exposed were also more likely to develop breast cancer by 25% than girls who were not exposed (Ishikawa et al., 2020). This chemical is a mosquito pesticide banned in the United States since the 1970s. However, in many other countries where malaria and other mosquito-spread illnesses are rampant, this chemical is often still sprayed (Ishikawa et al., 2020). Women should be especially mindful of how much exposure they are receiving from this threatening chemical, although it is hard for women to be vigilant about how much they are around this pesticide. There are tools, such as Toxic-Free Future, for women to learn more about this type of chemical. Further precautions include watching what type of meat and fish a woman consumes, as wild-caught fish and animal meats may include a multitude of this chemical (Toxic-Free Future, 2016). Therefore, those who have been exposed to DDT have a larger window of susceptibility. 

As mentioned before, a certain mutated gene is linked to an increased risk of contracting breast cancer. Unfortunately, this gene is hereditary; women who receive this gene turned on are at a 70% risk of developing breast cancer after the age of 40 (Breastcancer.org, 2022). Truthfully, everyone has BRCA1/BRCA2, but only a handful have a mutation in this gene. This means that the gene is active and has the potential to uncontrollably produce mutated cells, which increases the risk of developing breast cancer. Since the gene is hereditary, be sure to check your family background and ask relatives if they have experienced breast cancer either in the past or currently. If they have a history of breast cancer, an individual can detect early stages via a rapid test through an MRI, mammography, ultrasound, or other genetic screenings can open awareness of your potential risk (American Cancer Society, 2022). An example of quick action due to an inherited, mutated BRCA1 gene can be found in American actress Angelina Jolie’s experiences. Jolie was at a 50% risk of getting breast/ovarian cancer (Orringer, 2018). In her case, she decided to undergo a life changing double mastectomy, or the removal of both of her breasts and ovaries because they are the primary sites for estrogen production. She proceeded to undergo breast reconstruction through a plastic surgeon and has fully recovered. Her courage to step up and experience this surgery is known across the internet as the “Angelina Jolie Effect.” It inspired many other women to get screened and encouraged others with the gene to have the bravery to face the surgery of removing their breasts and ovaries (Orringer, 2018).

Symptoms and Self-examinations

There are some physical symptoms that are signs of developing breast cancer. Women over the age of 40 should be wary of any irregular changes in their breasts, such as newly formed bumps, swelling, redness, irritation, and changes in the shape of the breast (CDC Breast Cancer, 2022). A self-examination once in a while to feel for any abnormalities before consulting a professional is advised. Be sure to note that not all changes in the breasts indicate you are developing breast cancer. Benign tumors, which are not life-threatening, can form in the breasts and under the armpits (CDC Breast Cancer, 2022). Other changes in the physical appearance of the breast, which are normal to a female body, can be due to menstruation, pregnancy, a sudden intake of certain medications, and loss or gain of weight. Some bumps may be cysts, or pockets in the breasts that contain fluid, that are swollen and sore but are not related to breast cancer. Instead, they are related to a condition called Fibrocystic condition, which is merely uncomfortable, but can make detection of breast cancer more difficult (CDC Breast Cancer, 2022).

Treatment Options

Women diagnosed with breast cancer have two different general treatment options: local and systemic (American Cancer Society, 2022). However, these options are not limited.  A medical professional, typically a breast surgeon or oncologist, can tailor your treatment to certain personal preferences and other health conditions you might have. Local treatment means targeting only a malignant or cancerous tumor in a specific area of the breast. Typically, surgery is done to remove the cancerous cells, and further monitoring or chemicals might be used. Radiation therapy is also an option under the category of local treatments (American Cancer Society, 2022). On the other hand, systemic treatment is a chemical treatment that targets almost any cancerous clump of cells in your body. This treatment includes chemotherapy, hormone therapy, and immunotherapy that help immune systems fight the cells. Other factors, such as the stage of cancer, pregnancy, and inflammation, may affect the type of treatment available. Special diets, acupuncture, massage, and vitamins are sometimes offered to relieve the symptoms of breast cancer (American Cancer Society, 2022).

Overall, these methods to catch early signs of breast cancer will certainly reduce breast cancer from developing into a major health issue and possibly a life-threatening illness. Consultation with a medical professional about heredity and other risk factors is heavily recommended. It is vital for a woman over the age of 40 to consult and test for breast cancer right away due to their high risk of contracting this cancer. As more awareness spreads, more individuals will be able to notice early signs of breast cancer and treat with chemotherapy or other recommended treatments.

References

American Cancer Society. (n.d.). Breast Cancer Treatment: Treatment Options for Breast Cancer. Cancer.org. Retrieved from cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/treatment.html

Breastcancer.org. (2022). Breast Cancer Facts and Statistics. Retrieved from breastcancer.org/facts-statistics

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) Factsheet. CDC National Biomonitoring Program. Retrieved from cdc.gov/biomonitoring/DDT_FactSheet.html

‌Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2021). How Is Breast Cancer Treated? CDC Breast Cancer. Retrieved from cdc.gov/cancer/breast/basic_info/treatment.htm

‌Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). What Are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer? CDC Breast Cancer. Retrieved from cdc.gov/cancer/breast/basic_info/symptoms.htm

Ishikawa, T., Tong, J., Borowsky, A., Cardiff, R., & La Merrill, M. (2020, July 2). Perinatal DDT exposure shortens latency of mouse mammary tumorigenesis. Retrieved from doi.org/10.1158/1940-6215.ENVCAPREV19-A48

Newkirk, C. (2017, August 9). Breast cancer risk linked to “windows of susceptibility.” Michigan State University Extension. Retrieved from canr.msu.edu/news/breast_cancer_risk_linked_to_windows_of_susceptibility#:~:text=A%20window%20of%20susceptibility%20is,gland%20development%20and%2For%20growth.

Nichols, H. (2020, March 12). Everything you need to know about estrogen. MedicalNewsToday. Retrieved from medicalnewstoday.com/articles/277177

Orringer, J. (2018, March 20). Inside the “Angelina Jolie effect” on breast reconstruction. Plasticsurgery.org. Retrieved from plasticsurgery.org/news/blog/inside-the-angelina-jolie-effect-on-breast-reconstruction#:~:text=Angelina%20Jolie%20elected%20to%20proceed,courage%20and%20benevolence%20as%20Ms.

Stony Brook Cancer Center. (2022). ‌Different Kinds of Breast Lumps. Retrieved from cancer.stonybrookmedicine.edu/breast-cancer-team/patients/bse/breastlumps#:~:text=Not%20all%20tumors%20are%20malignant,benign%20(non%2Dcancerous).

Toxic-Free Future. (n.d.). PCBs and DDT. Retrieved from toxicfreefuture.org/key-issues/chemicals-of-concern/pcbs-and-ddt/#:~:text=The%20most%20important%20actions%20you,high%20in%20PCBs%20and%20DDT.