Electric and Hybrid cars | Teen Ink

Electric and Hybrid cars

By bfitteron24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
bfitteron24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Electric and hybrid cars are everywhere around us in this day and age. One important question raised is are they that much better for the environment than regular gasoline cars? Electric cars were first introduced in Japan in 1997 when the Toyota Prius came out with the option of a hybrid vehicle. Ever since then, more and more brands have been producing their own models of hybrid and electric vehicles. 

Many people question what an hybrid electric car actually is. It is classified as a car using both gasoline and electricity. This works because they are powered by an internal combustion engine and multiple electric motors, which use energy stored in batteries. It is not possible to charge a hybrid car with electricity, but it is charged through regenerative braking and the internal combustion engine. This is a much more efficient way to travel without using gasoline.    

Some argue that electric and hybrid vehicles are not as good for the environment, as people claim. Electric cars require batteries which need to be produced in factories. Eventually, those batteries, along with toxic chemicals that can leak out of them, could end up in hazardous waste landfills if they are not recycled properly. Not only could this be bad for the environment, but also producing the chemicals used in the batteries requires a large amount of labor.

Although some people argue that electric/hybrid cars could be harmful, many say it is very beneficial for the environment in the long run. Electric cars are currently better for the environment than gas and will continue to improve as the percentage of renewables in the electricity grid increases. A hybrid vehicle can use both fuel and a rechargeable electric motor to power it, rather than relying primarily on gasoline. As a result, they emit a significantly smaller amount of pollution.

While some people can argue that electric and hybrid vehicles could be bad for the environment, it is still a step in the right direction to make the world a cleaner and better place.

This article is about electric and Hybrid cars and if they are actually good for the environment