2021 Kindness Contest: The Gift of Life | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest: The Gift of Life

By ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Approximately every two seconds, someone in the U.S. is in need of blood. There are thousands of blood drives held per year, but the need is still not met. Giving blood is easy, and most people are eligible. Blood can help accident and burn victims, heart surgery patients, organ transplant patients, and those battling cancer. Giving blood is a fairly simple way to show kindness. It's like holding open a door for someone, anybody can do it! One of the most essential and extraordinary acts of kindness is giving blood! 

There are incentives, such as coupons for free items, or snacks afterwards, but that is generally not the motivating factor as to why people give blood. Some give blood because they know someone who has a medical condition that depends on blood donations, and others give because they want to help strangers in need. Regardless, those who give blood do so out of the kindness of their heart, no matter the reason. 

Anybody can host a blood drive, you just need a public place and a date. You can set up a blood drive in your area through the American Red Cross, it really is just as easy as that! Sometimes, people hold blood drives in honor of someone fighting a medical condition that is dependent on blood or a person who lost their life too soon. Not to mention, hosting a blood drive is a great way to get involved in your community. You can do your part and help fulfill the growing need of blood donations across the U.S out of the kindness of your heart. You can be a hero by donating blood and saving a life.