Fashion, Stereotypes, and What Hasn't Changed Since the 1960s | Teen Ink

Fashion, Stereotypes, and What Hasn't Changed Since the 1960s

January 20, 2021
By AnneElizabethWolfe SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts
AnneElizabethWolfe SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Recently, like all other Massachusetts sophomores, I have begun reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. In the novel, the main character, Esther, begins her suicidal downward spiral after an internship at a fashion magazine. I heard about the novel being semi-autobiographical, but I never fully internalized it until I saw Sylvia Plath’s poem in a vintage copy of Seventeen magazine during my research. Going through the magazines, I realized that times have changed, but many expectations for girls have not. As in the 50s and 60s, girls are expected to put effort into looking good, obtaining boyfriends, and having various other noteworthy accomplishments besides academics. Magazine covers proudly proclaim “Turn Your Dreams into Dates” and “A new hairdo for every girl for every occasion”. Many of the headlines displayed in the 60s would not be out of place today.  Society’s expectations are the same today, but are more subtly displayed.


Therefore, with all the expectations that come with being a teenage girl, we come to a question that is important to ask yourself; why do I dress the way I do? Do I want to convey an image? Do I want to be like everyone else? Do I dress this way because of expectations? Do I dress this way because of outside personal influences? Have any major changes in your life affected the way you dress? Think about the answers. 


Style is a way we display an aspect of our personality. It shows how we wish to project ourselves to the world. In the 50s and 60s, girls wanted to present themselves as fun, stylish, attractive, and eligible prospects for marriage. This is reflected in the prim and posh style of the 1960s, including full skirts, skirted suits, sweater sets, and Peter Pan collars. 


Currently, style reflects expectations as well, but in different ways. More cultural diversity is represented by more stylistic diversity. Athletes often wear athleisure. Kids who enjoy skateboarding will often wear brands like Supreme and Vans. Dancers are often more comfortable than most in smaller amounts of clothing. These stereotypes are not always true, since I’m sure a lot of girls in the 60s could not stand Peter Pan collars. However, there is always a little truth in cliches. In the Bell Jar, Esther’s  problem is that she follows the cliches. She always does what she is supposed to do based on society’s expectations and never what she wants to do herself, in style and in life. In the end, style should always make you feel good - happy and confident.