Oliver's Lament | Teen Ink

Oliver's Lament

November 9, 2020
By JuliannaHolmes BRONZE, Congers, New York
JuliannaHolmes BRONZE, Congers, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Oliver is marked with his dark chocolate fur with a slight curl and those big round eyes looking up at you. He is branded with a strut in his walk as he proudly parades his long tail across the house, with scratches against the smooth wood floors that mark his territory and telling a story of where he’s been and where he’s going. His bones are scattered on the floor marking his loss of interest in one toy as he lunges for another, along with the agony that awaits whoever’s foot is unlucky enough to step on it. His long tongue that sticks out like a serpent when he yawns protrudes as he licks people's feet. While it is definitely a gross and unfavorable habit, that’s just Ollie. 

The day I met Oliver he had never seen technology, being raised with an amish family. He had discovered a car, tv, phones, and radio music all in one day. He was a puddle of confusion simply longing for a well deserved nap. He was gifted with a Charlie Brown blanket to aid in his puppy stages, but that wouldn’t last long. He would soon perk up into the Oliver we have all come to love.

This year will be his first Christmas and I am faced with the task of finding the perfect gifts for him. What do you get for a dog who has everything? He enjoys sleeping on a bed, a luxury not shared with any other dog in the house. He frequently cuddles up right next to me just wanting to be close. He finds comfort in his silk pillow, that he cannot sleep without, his favorite blanket, with tassels at the end to chew on, and a perfectly pitch black room, something we both share. During the day he will bury his head in the pillow when he is tired to try and achieve that same darkness but he’ll just end up winging at the door hoping someone, anyone, will let him snuggle on their bed. 

Perhaps, I will get him a brand new sweater? Being the youngest in my family I understand the burden of only getting hand-me-downs. Perhaps it will make him feel special to have a sweater all his own.

Do beware, Oliver has a wild side. When this comes out you will often hear me yell, “Oliver Benjamin Holmes!” a stark difference from the high pitch Ollie I say when I greet him. His middle name was given to him to help him sound a bit smarter to make up for the lack of logical thinking he is capable of. I try to explain to him that his middle name Benjamin is after Peter Benjamin Parker. He once said, “With great power comes great responsibility.” I don’t think Ollie got the memo on that one.