Malcom the Imposter | Teen Ink

Malcom the Imposter

October 4, 2020
By MacTaylor BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
MacTaylor BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My legal name is Malcom which originated from Scotland and means a devotee of Saint Columba. This name and origin has no connection or meaning to me. almost like a penny that you find on the ground. I recognize it, but it has no importance or impact on my life. 


My true name is Mac. which is the name I have been called since I can remember. It makes me think of youth, optimism, and good times. Like scoring a goal. A night out with good people. It gives me hope that one day I’ll capture my dreams and live the life I have always wanted to live. 


I was named after my grandpa Mac Allen. He was a tough kid living in a tough period of time. This caused him to grow to be very successful and wise. No matter what the problem or situation is he always has the advice to help. 


I have always looked up to him and envied his wisdom and successes. He went through the tough times. but it made him the successful person he is today. He worked his way to make a living through farming. He did this through his hard work and never giving up. He says, “When the going gets tough the tough get going”. These traits are something I would like to inherit along with the name. 


To me Mac is my only real name and Malcom is like an imposter to who I actually am. Only being used in bad times or by people who don’t know me for who I truly and am and where I come from.


I want to get rid of my legal name Malcom and make Mac my real name. As Mac means more to me then Malcom ever will. It is just the name that is more real to me and who I am. It makes me think about the fresh air and laughs that came from where I am from.