Eva Braun Hitler | Teen Ink

Eva Braun Hitler

By QueenOfTheWorld SILVER, Joplin, Missouri
QueenOfTheWorld SILVER, Joplin, Missouri

"One should never save cake for later when it can be eaten now"
Winter, The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer

Eva Braun was born on February 6th,1912, to a lower-middle-class family. She will be remembered as the woman who was the mistress of Hitler, and for a short period, his wife.

Eva Braun, daughter of a school teacher and seamstress, had two sisters, Ilse and  Margarete. Margarete would eventually become just as involved in politics as Eva was. Eva had a talent for athletics and was educated at a catholic school and became a model and saleswoman for H. Hoffman, the official photographer for the Nazi Party, at age 17. She learned how to do photography there. Her sister worked at Hoffman’s with her. Eva met Hitler in 1929.

Once one of Hitler’s mistresses died of suicide, Eva became more closely involved with Hitler. He started courting her and she agreed to move into his chalet. Her father was unhappy about her relationship with Hitler. Eva expressed great loyalty to Hitler and constantly begged for attention. She tried to commit suicide twice when Hitler neglected her, one in 1932 and another in 1935. Hitler believed he was “sexually attractive” and that marriage would decrease political appeal, resulting in his refusal to marry Braun.

Eva Braun wasn’t that influential in Hitler’s political movements, but undoubtedly was well versed in politics. It is believed that Hitler chose her because she would not challenge her authority. When she moved into his chalet, she enjoyed sports like swimming and gymnastics.

In 1945, Eva travelled to Berlin to join Hitler in a bunker. She and Hitler pondered killing themselves because they would rather die at their own hand than the hand of the enemy. 

Hitler was impressed with Eva’s loyalty to his cause and decided that they should get married. The two married on April 29th, 1945, and was treated to a wedding breakfast. At 3:15 on April 30th, a gunshot was heard from the bunker. It was later discovered that the newlyweds had committed suicide together. Eva had bitten into a cyanide capsule and Hitler poisoned and shot himself in the head. The bodies were burned together in a garden.

Ironically, the body of Hitler was discovered by his bad teeth. He had such bad cavities and gum disease that his burnt remains were discovered solely on the unique horrible teeth. Eva was also identified by her teeth as well. She had a gold bridge on her lower jaw.

Eva Braun Hitler would always be a little known, but also important, figure in Hitler’s life. Whether Hitler really loved her remains to be seen, but nonetheless, she was a significant World War II individual.

I have always been interested in what Hitler's wife had to do with the war.