Reflection Don't Speak | Teen Ink

Reflection Don't Speak

July 11, 2019
By c_doc24 SILVER, Lafayette, New Jersey
c_doc24 SILVER, Lafayette, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Not all who wander are lost."


Reflections. They are just a reverse image of yourself, right? They can either be a light, a hope, or a joy, or a pain. A darkness that never ends. You can try and try to change what your eyes see, but it won’t work. You can become stressed, worried, and wishing you weren’t who you were. Wishing that that face belonged to the kid next door. Staring back at it for the longest time, hoping you could use a wish of a magic fairy’s to make it prettier. Just wanting to be different, to not look like what you are.


Looks. Appearance. These words are beginning to define this society. All that matters to certain girls is if their Dutch braids are perfectly centered on their black-head free forehead. Though this is overused, but the use of Social Media isn’t getting any better. Every time a troubled girl goes to check her Instagram feed, it is riddled with selfies of girls in tops she could never fit into. Or white teeth that had to be photoshopped. The main point of girls doing this is to brag. Rub it into faces. They are simply saying, ‘Hey, look at me! I can wear this cropped, ribbed and low-cut blouse in public! Can you?’ That same stressed girl from before girl looks at her reflection, wishing to change it.


Wishing. Wishing, as defined in the Merriam Webster Dictionary is, “ to feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; to want something that cannot or probably will not happen.”Many of the people not fitting the ‘Cool” high school clique spend way too much of their time wishing. Dreaming for something to change, to look different. Wanting to look better to fit in. Just to be part of some cult. That cult. Nothing else matters but fitting in. That’s it. Once you do, then, just maybe, you can worry about something else.


Constant Netflix movies are telling you to just embrace who you are. But let me tell you, a loser to a loser, that it does not matter. At all. Picture the job you want to pursue. Say it is being a doctor. You are rushing through the east wing of the hospital, racing to help an injured soldier from death. He has fatal injuries. You are the only one with the skills to help. You are working for hours. All that matters is saving this man’s life. Finally, the last stitch is in.The feeling that overwhelms you is joyous. You let go a sigh of relief. Now during that time, you weren’t worrying about what you look like in the slightest. All that mattered was saving the soldier. It didn’t matter if your bikini revealed enough, or if your eyes looked blue enough.

So many articles are written just like mine. A girl, telling you to stop worrying. But I am going through the exact same thing, whereas the other girls can tend to be just like a ‘cool’ high school cliché. If you worked your way all the way through this article, then you are more than a reflection. You will be able to accomplish great things. But first, you must ignore what you see. Live with it. See the best features in yourself, and make those what you see. Not to be basic, but just love yourself. If everyone in the world looked like a supermodel, then what a boring world this would be. Let me leave you with a noble quote by Popeye the Sailor, “ I yam what I yam.”