Pediatric Nurse | Teen Ink

Pediatric Nurse

By 22mk01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22mk01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

My mom started running a daycare after I was born, which means I pretty much grew up with kids in my house. Over the years I have seen many different kids with complete opposite personalities from each other. This has helped me to be more patient with them and find different ways to get through to them. From a very young age I would show signs of how caring of a person I was. For example I would always “take care” of my sister and brother, even though I probably just made the situation worse, I always tried to help. I feel like these aspects will carry over to the career that I chose to do for the rest of my life. The one job that I have wanted to do since I was little was to be a pediatric nurse. Just recently, I have added on the idea that I want to be a pediatric nurse specializing in oncology (cancer). This would be the perfect job for me because I want to impact lives, help people get back to daily life, and I love kids. All these aspects will be experienced if I become a pediatric nurse specializing in oncology.

One thing that is really important to me is that I want to make a difference in someone's life. Even though it may be the smallest thing that I get remembered for. It is very important to me that I impacted someone's life to the point that they remember who I am. Going along with that topic, I would like to bring hope and joy into a families life while they are staying at the hospital. I was born with a cleft palate which meant the I spent quite a bit of time in the hospital, and my parents still remember the doctor who did all of my surgeries. It would be amazing if I could do the same thing for another family. And for the kids, I want to make those scary hospital visits a little more tolerable by finding new and interesting ways to make their hospital visit more fun. I hear stories about what all the nurses and doctors did so I didn’t feel so scared when leaving my parents and going in for a surgery. For example the doctor who did my surgery drew dora on the table so I wouldn't feel so alone, and when the nurse was telling me what was going to happen she would use a stuffed animal to demonstrate. All of those fun little tricks helped me to be less scared when going to the hospital, and I would like to do the same for other kids. This is the main reason why I want to be a pediatric nurse, but it'sits not the only one.

The next reason why I want to become a pediatric nurse is to see these kids heal and get stronger day by day. This is the main reason why I have added on the idea of being a pediatric nurse specializing in oncology. It is really sad that kids are fighting this terrible sickness and if I can make that more manageable, I will try my hardest to do exactly that. This is a sickness that comes with a lot of ups and down, which can really put a hold on a child's life. When these kids are in the hospital trying to win this fight against cancer, they are missing out on all of the things a kid would be doing in normal life. I want to bring that normal life into the hospital in hopes that these kids won’t feel like they didn’t have an exciting childhood. I want to help these kids fight cancer with a smile on their face in hopes that someday they will walk out of that hospital holding a sign that says “I beat cancer.” I see these videos online of nurses having a big party when one of the patients have beat cancer and I hope that one day I will be part of that exciting moment in a child's life. There are also the terrible parts when a kid loses their fight against cancer, but those are parts I am willing to go through to get to the exciting parts. After seeing these kids heal they will be able to get back to daily life and be normal kids, which brings me into the next paragraph.

The final reason why I want to be a pediatric nurse is because I love kids. Since I have been around them my whole life, I know how to manage them. My mom and I always joke that I am the “baby whisperer” which would be really helpful when becoming a pediatric nurse. I see videos of these nurses finding ways to make going to the hospital fun, if that's even possible. For example there was this one nurse who found a way to give a kid a shot without the kid finding out. I think this would be really fun to find new ways to care for kids without them knowing. Kids are also a lot easier to care for than adults. Adults will keep questioning you whether or not you are doing things right, where kids will talk to you about random stuff. They are also more fun than adults, kids will talk about random stuff, which most of the time you can’t understand. Part of the fun dealing with kids is to hear about these crazy made up stories and to see them smile. I would get to experience that everyday if I become a pediatric nurse.

I feel like all these characteristics and goals I want to achieve, having an impacting lives, helping people get back to daily life, and I love kids. These characteristics will carry over and will help me to become a pediatric nurse. I found this quote which really sums up nursing, it states “Nurse: Just another word to describe a person strong enough to tolerate anything and soft enough to understand anyone.” I really like this quote because it really describes how a nurse has to act. They have to be strong enough to deal with many things, from angry patients to angry family members dealing with a death. Nurses also have to be soft enough to understand the pain that the family is going through. So in order to be a nurse I would have to have many different personalities to show at different times, and I would  have to know when to show those different types of personalities. I am very confident that this is the job I was put on this earth to do and I will be successful in completing this goal for my life. No matter how hard I have to work to get there, I will do whatever it takes to have my dream job come true.