Response to Liz Murray | Teen Ink

Response to Liz Murray

By SabrinaS BRONZE, ., Connecticut
SabrinaS BRONZE, ., Connecticut

The dream begins, most of the time, with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you onto the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called truth. -Dan Rather

The feeling of wanting to give up is a strong feeling that is hard to overcome. I wanted at times to give up because I have two learning disorders called, Mixed Expressive and Receptive Language Disorder and Central Auditory Processing Disorder. These disorders both mean that I have a hard time understanding directions, that I would have trouble hearing while there was outside noise, and that I would have trouble putting my words into sentences. I did not overcome these disorders overnight, I knew it would be a long journey ahead but I was ready to overcome them. With these disorders came my anxiety and the constant feeling of wanting to give up when things get difficult in my life. My disorders caused anxiety because the feeling of not being able to do something is very frustrating and overwhelming. I would have to spend more of my time on my homework and preparing for next week’s class then relaxing during the weekends when I was younger. As I matured and got older I started to realize and understand that my schoolwork is not going to come easy to me put I was prepared for that uphill battle. Though, there is always that one thing that will keep you going when you feel like everything is crashing down, and that “thing” is my family. Knowing that my family is always going to be there for me when times get difficult renews my feeling of determination. When Liz Murray talked to us today it was inspiring. Hearing her journey and her hardships was empowering. It made me realize that even when life comes crashing down you never lose hope or give up.

This is my response to Liz Murray, who wrote the book Breaking Night, about her life.